LONDON (AP) — London police have opened an investigation into allegations that people associated with one of Prince Charles’ charities offered to help a Saudi billionaire gain honors and citizenship in exchange for donations. .
The investigation followed a series of articles in The Times of London, which reported that a longtime aide to Charles helped secure the prince’s backing for a Saudi citizen to be awarded a knighthood and British citizenship in exchange for donations of up to 1.5 million. pounds ($2 million).
The Metropolitan Police Service said on Wednesday it had decided to open a formal investigation after assessing media reports, reviewing the findings of an investigation commissioned by the Prince’s Foundation and reviewing documents provided by the foundation. No one has been arrested, police said in a statement.
Charles’ office, Clarence House, said there was no evidence to back up the claims.
“The Prince of Wales had no knowledge of the alleged offer of honors or British citizenship on the basis of a donation to his charities,” Clarence House said.
The investigation commissioned by the Prince’s Foundation, which focuses on the preservation of Dumfries House, an 18th century estate in Scotland, found evidence of communication and coordination between the charity’s chief executive and ‘repairers working to obtain honors from a donor. The events took place from 2014 to 2018, and the man at the center of the allegations resigned last year.
“The board is committed to learning lessons to ensure that going forward, our charity maintains the highest standards in all areas and always acts with integrity and probity,” the foundation said in a statement. undated press release on its website.