Almost a month after the partial collapse of the building that killed 97 people in Surfside, the site of the collapse seems unrecognizable to those who have seen rescuers working for weeks on the rubble – and traffic patterns around the site could see a return to normal “in the near future”. to come up.”
Senator Jason Pizzo tweeted footage from the site Tuesday night that showed the recovery mission may be nearing completion. A Miami-Dade County spokesperson confirmed on Wednesday that the collapse site had been “largely cleaned up.”
Surrounded by orange traffic cones and police barricades, the property where the 12-story Champlain South towers once stood appeared in photos posted by Pizzo to have been nearly cleaned up, with nearly all debris and construction parts moved to off-site locations for forensic analysis. . Several pieces of rubble and cables were still visible at the site in photos, as several salvage workers used a crawler loader to scoop up a remaining piece.
But despite the clean-up of the original collapse site, recovery efforts and research continue, the county spokesperson said.
“What is happening now is first responders to search further for debris at the collection site,” the spokesperson said. “They continue to do everything they can to be as thorough as possible in finding any extra leftovers to close the families.”
Since July 15, the mayor of Miami-Dade, Daniella Levine Cava noted that 26 million pounds of concrete and debris had been removed from the site. The authorities recovered 97 victims.
The relocation of the debris, and with it the recovery effort, may soon allow Surfside residents to see the stranded section of Collins Avenue open to traffic.
“I think in the very near future we will be able to partially open Collins Avenue to traffic,” Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett told the Miami Herald. “We are trying to semi-normalize life at Surfside, however, we are not doing anything that could compromise the site investigation. We try to balance these two requirements.