Brazilian legend Pele says he is doing “very well” despite “taking a small step back” after returning to an intensive care unit in a Sao Paulo hospital.
The 80-year-old left Albert Einstein hospital on Tuesday following successful surgery to remove a colon tumor earlier in September.
However, on Friday evening ESPN Brasil reported that his condition had deteriorated due to acid reflux and that he was now back in intensive care.
The football icon took to Instagram to take stock of his condition.
“My friends, I am still recovering very well. Today I have received visits from family members and I continue to smile every day. Thank you for all the love I get from you, ”Pelé said on Instagram.
Her daughter, Kely Nascimento, said her father was “recovering well” in a statement on her Instagram account.
“Hi friends. I don’t know what’s going on with the rumors but my DMs are booming !!! There is already a lot of anxiety in the world these days and we don’t want to be the reason more, ”Nascimento wrote on Instagram.
“This photo was taken earlier. He wears a waistcoat because he is Santista and the cold in SP (Sao Paulo) bothers him!
“He’s recovering well and within normal limits. Promise! The normal recovery scenario for a man his age after an operation like this is sometimes two steps forward and one step back.
“Yesterday he was tired and took a step back. Today he took two advances!
“I want to thank Einstein’s brilliant team again and again and even more gratitude for all the good energy you bring.”
Perhaps football’s first world superstar, Pelé gained international notoriety when he helped Brazil win the 1958 World Cup at the age of 17, repeating the feat in 1962 and 1970.
Officially, he has scored 757 goals in a brilliant career – club Santos claim their total was closer to 1,000 – leaving him behind only Cristiano Ronaldo and Josef Biscan on the all-time roster.