Paul Pelosi faces ‘long recovery’ after hammer attack

Paul Pelosi, the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, faces a ‘long process of recovery’ after an intruder broke into the couple’s San Francisco home on Friday and attacked him with a hammer , said his office.

In a statement, Pelosi’s office said Paul Pelosi was making “steady progress,” but released no other specific details.

Pelosi is recovering from what officials said was a successful operation Friday at Zuckerberg General Hospital in San Francisco “to repair a fractured skull and severe injuries to his right arm and hand.”

On Sunday, Paul Pelosi Jr, the couple’s son, told reporters that doctors are “slowly rebuilding him”.

Federal prosecutors said David DePape entered the Pelosis home in the exclusive Pacific Heights neighborhood after smashing through a back glass door with a hammer, then went to the second floor of the house. There he found Pelosi, 82, asleep and repeatedly shouted, “Where is Nancy? Paul Pelosi was alone at the time of the burglary; his wife was in Washington with her protective detail.

Realizing the potential danger, Pelosi managed to make a quick, surreptitious call to 911 and left the line open, authorities said. A 911 dispatcher realized something was seriously wrong and immediately dispatched the police to the address. Officers learned there was a man inside the house named David, whom Pelosi did not know.

A private security guard told police he saw a man dressed in black and walking with a backpack shortly before he heard a loud noise before police arrived at the residence, according to a federal indictment affidavit against DePape.

When officers arrived around 2:30 a.m., Pelosi opened the door and they saw DePape and Pelosi with their hands on a hammer. Officers told the men to drop the gun, but DePape took control and swung it, hitting Pelosi in the head, authorities said.

Officers immediately restrained DePape, while Pelosi appeared unconscious on the floor.

Federal prosecutors allege DePape hoped to find Nancy Pelosi and intended to kidnap her and break her kneecaps.

In a voluntary interview with San Francisco police after his arrest, DePape said he decided to hold Nancy Pelosi hostage, interrogate and torture her, according to federal charges.

“If Nancy told DePape the truth, he would let her go, and if she lied, he was going to break her kneecaps,” police said. DePape thought “Nancy wouldn’t have told the truth,” according to a federal affidavit.

During the interview, DePape said he views Pelosi as the “ringleader” of the lies told by the Democratic Party. He then told investigators “that by breaking Nancy’s kneecaps, she would then have to be transported to Congress, which would show other members of Congress that actions had consequences.”

DePape also said in the interview that he wanted to use Pelosi to lure another person home from San Francisco.

Nancy Pelosi told her congressional colleagues on Sunday that she and her family were “heartbroken and traumatized” by the events of Friday.

“Our children, our grandchildren and I are heartbroken and traumatized by the potentially deadly attack on our pop,” Pelosi said in the statement to members of the U.S. House of Representatives. “We are grateful for the quick response from law enforcement and emergency services and for the life-saving medical treatment he is receiving.”

Los Angeles Times

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button