Paul Pelosi attack suspect charged by federal government

SAN FRANCISCO– A man previously detained in last month’s attack on US President Nancy Pelosi’s husband was indicted by a federal grand jury on Wednesday for assault and attempted kidnapping.

The charges against David DePape stemming from the Oct. 28 break-in at Pelosis’ San Francisco home are the same as those in an earlier federal complaint filed Oct. 31.

When officers responded to Paul Pelosi’s 911 call, they found Paul Pelosi and DePape fighting over a hammer, according to the six-page indictment. When an officer ordered DePape to drop the hammer, he replied “uh no,” before swinging it forcefully at Paul Pelosi, according to the indictment.

The exchange lasted about 15 seconds and left Pelosi and DePape lying on the ground with swollen blood around Paul Pelosi’s head, according to the indictment.

DePape, 42, of Richmond, a suburb of San Francisco, was arrested inside the Pelosi residence. When Paul Pelosi called 911, he told officers he was sleeping when a man he had never seen before entered his room looking for Nancy Pelosi.

Officers later discovered that a glass door to the back porch had been smashed. They recovered a roll of duct tape, a white rope, a second hammer, a pair of rubber and cloth gloves, and zip ties.

The assault rocked the political world days before the hotly contested midterm elections, the first national election since the Jan. 6, 2021, uprising on Capitol Hill. Threats against lawmakers and election officials have reached unprecedented heights, and authorities have issued a warning about rising extremism in the United States

DePape’s public defender Adam Lipson did not immediately respond to phone and email messages. Last week, he pleaded not guilty to charges brought by the state against DePape, a fringe activist drawn to conspiracy theories. A San Francisco judge ordered DePape held without bail on the attempted murder, burglary and elder abuse charges, and he was also taken into federal custody in the case.

He was indicted on federal charges, including assaulting an immediate family member of a U.S. official with intent to retaliate against the official for the performance of their official duties. A second charge alleges he attempted to kidnap a US official because of the performance of his official duties.

The first count carries a maximum sentence of 30 years in federal prison and the second carries a maximum of 20 years in prison.

ABC News

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button