Parents say disabled teenage son was raped by classmate in school bathroom, alleging CPS cover-up – CBS Chicago


CHICAGO (CBS) – A mother and father say their 15-year-old son with a developmental disability was raped in a school bathroom – and they say Chicago Public Schools have refused to say it happened and have also blamed their child.

As CBS 2’s Irika Sargent reported on Wednesday night, CPS has tried to have the case thrown out by a judge twice — the last time on Wednesday. The motions were defeated.

READ MORE: Security guard shoots gunman during argument at gas station

The parents wanted their identities concealed, but spoke on camera for the first time – only at CBS 2. We want to warn you that the details may be disturbing for some to read and hear.

“How the hell did this happen, at school,” said the boy’s mother. “I mean, nobody was watching.”

“We thought he would be safe at school, you know,” the boy’s father said.

The mother and father said their son was raped at least twice in the bathroom at William J. Bogan Computer Tech High School, 3939 W. 79th St. His assailant, they say, was another teenager from the school.

They say it came to light after their son confided in a classmate.

“He told her what happened and then she went to report it to a teacher,” the boy’s mother said.

Since then, parents say staff at Bogan and Chicago Public Schools have fought them at every turn — refusing to admit the attack happened or take steps to prevent such a thing from happening. reproduce – and even blaming their son.

They say that upon meeting the director, she asked their son to play the alleged crime

When asked how that conversation went, the boy’s mother replied: “It was terrible.”

“So she told him to ‘get up and show me how it happened,'” she said. “And then, ‘Well, does that hurt?’ I mean, that was – what kind of question is that?”

The parents did not want to press charges against the other disabled teenager, believing that he needed help. But they are suing the CPS, claiming the district failed to protect their son.

They said action was in place for the two students requiring assistance to escort each through the school building – but that did not happen.

READ MORE: This year, flowers and other items cost a little more for Valentine’s Day; Experts explain why

Sargent: “Do you think that assistant would even watch him while he went to the bathroom?”

Boy’s mother: “Yes.”

After filing a lawsuit, their attorney, Carolyn Daley, said they discovered the same boy had a history of aggressive behavior and sexual misconduct, including 27 conduct violations.

“He was found in a bathroom with two other students from the cluster program, or special education program, at Bond Elementary,” Daley said. “One of the students was bent over in front of him with his pants down.”

Daley said that even after his client was raped in Bogan, the CPS took no action to prevent it from happening to others.

“They didn’t even bother to tell his teachers or assistants that he was accused of sexually assaulting another student in the bathroom. They carried on as if nothing had happened,” Daley said. “Well, what happens when you do that? He ended up sexually assaulting another cognitively disabled kid in the bathroom at Bogan High School eight months later.

We spoke to the mother of this child in 2018.

“He told me he was hurt. ‘I’m hurt,’ the mother of the other child said in the 2018 story, “and he mentioned the blood. I mean, I went crazy.

CPS hired a private law firm, calling the boy’s deposition testimony in the latest case “selfish” and saying they had no obligation to protect him in the bathroom.

“The most vulnerable place for a child in a school is in the bathroom,” Daley said.

“I think the most shocking thing was when the CPS lawyer said, ‘Do you know what gay means?’ When she started going,” the boy’s mother said. “And then say this, ‘Well, do you think it’s wrong to be gay? Did your parents tell you it was wrong?’ »

In a statement, the CPS said, “Litigation is intended to resolve disagreements and the District strives to obtain acceptable resolutions in all lawsuits brought against it. Beyond that, the District will not comment while the litigation is ongoing.

NO MORE NEWS: Police search for armed robbery suspect after freight train hits stolen vehicle in unincorporated Zion

The trial begins next week.


chicago

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button