Politics

Parents of suspect charged in Michigan school shooting

Ethan Crumbley, 15, has been charged as an adult with two dozen crimes, including murder, attempted murder and terrorism, in connection with the shooting at Oxford High School on Tuesday in Oakland County, about 50 kilometers away north of Detroit.

Four students were killed and seven others were injured. Three were hospitalized in stable condition.

The semi-automatic pistol was bought legally by Crumbley’s father last week, investigators said.

In the United States, parents are rarely charged with school shootings involving their children, even though most minors get guns from the home of a relative or loved one, experts say.

No Michigan law requires gun owners to keep guns out of the reach of children. McDonald, however, suggested there was more to show.

“All I can say at this point is that these actions on behalf of mommy and daddy go way beyond neglect,” she told WJR-AM. “We’re obviously chasing the shooter whenever possible. … There are other people who should be held accountable.

Later, at a press conference, McDonald’s said she hoped to have an announcement “within the next 24 hours.” She had firmly signaled that Crumbley’s parents were under surveillance when she filed charges against their son on Wednesday.

Sheriff Mike Bouchard revealed on Wednesday that the parents had met with school officials about their son’s behavior in class, just hours before the shooting.

McDonald said information about what had troubled the school “will likely come to light soon.”

Crumbley stayed in school Tuesday and later came out of a bathroom with a gun, shooting students in the hallway, police said.

The district superintendent posted a video on YouTube Thursday evening where he said the teenager was called to the office before the shooting but “no discipline was warranted.”

Tim Throne, head of Oxford community schools, said the school looks like a “war zone” and won’t be ready for weeks. But he repeatedly credited the students and staff for the way they responded to the violence.

“To say I’m still in shock and numb is probably an understatement. These events that have happened will not define us, ”Throne said, face dark and speaking slowly, in the 12-minute video.

“I want you to know that there was a lot of talk about the student who was apprehended, he was called into the office and all that stuff. No discipline was justified, ”said Throne. “There is no disciplinary file in high school. Yes, this student had contact with our front office and, yes, his parents were on campus on November 30th.

Throne said he couldn’t immediately release further details.

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button