Skip to content
Parents of Michigan school shooting suspect arrested after manhunt


James and Jennifer Crumbley, parents of the accused Oxford High School gunman who failed to appear for an appearance on Friday and were declared fugitives, were captured early Saturday morning following a police manhunt which ended in the basement of a building in Detroit.

Detroit Police confirmed to CBS WWJ station that the two had been found, after their abandoned vehicle was spotted on a street in Detroit, about an hour south of Oxford.

The two fugitives were located and arrested by Detroit Police, the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office told CBS News, after receiving a 911 call from a business owner who spotted the suspects’ vehicle. in his parking lot. The appellant observed a woman near the car, who fled on foot.

After a thorough search by police, including with Detroit K-9 units, the two fugitives were located and arrested. The two will be transported to the Oakland County Jail tonight.

Authorities were looking for the parents of the teenager accused of fatally shot four people at Michigan high school after being charged with the rampage earlier Friday, US Marshals office noted. James and Jennifer Crumbley, each charged with four counts of manslaughter, did not surrender to authorities on Friday evening.

Parents of Michigan school shooting suspect arrested after manhunt
Images of James and Jennifer Crumbley provided by the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office in Michigan can be seen in a combined photo.

Oakland County Sheriff’s Office


The service of the American marshals published research posters for the couple, offering a reward of up to $ 10,000 for information leading to their capture.

Earlier on Friday, a lawyer for the couple said they had left town on the day of the shooting and were returning to stand trial, but the couple missed their Friday afternoon appearance. Oakland County Deputy Sheriff Michael McCabe told CBS News he was contacted by the attorney around 10:30 p.m. Friday with assurances the Crumbleys “would surrender” and the attorney “would send a text to my detective sergeant tomorrow morning at 7 “. a m”

County Prosecutor Karen McDonald announced the charges against the couple on Friday, saying they failed to prevent the tragedy and gave their son access to the gun he had. used in the shooting.

“While the shooter is the one who walked into high school and pulled the trigger, there are other people who contributed to the events of November 30 and I intend to hold them accountable as well,” he said. McDonald said at a press conference.

Shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley, 15, faces off 24 charges in Tuesday’s shooting, including four counts of first degree murder and one count of terrorism causing death. Four people were killed and seven others were injured in the Oxford High School shooting.

The teenager appeared in court for the first time on Wednesday and pleaded not guilty.




chicago

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.