Palestinian gunman injures 8 in overnight shooting in Jerusalem

JERUSALEM (AP) — A Palestinian gunman opened fire on a bus near Jerusalem’s Old City early Sunday, injuring eight Israelis in an attack that came a week after violence between Israel and militants in Gaza flared up, reports said. the police and the doctors.

Two of the victims were in serious condition, including a pregnant woman with abdominal injuries and a man with gunshot wounds to the head and neck, according to the Israeli hospitals treating them.

US Ambassador to Israel Tom Nides tweeted that there were US citizens among the injured. An embassy spokesperson did not release any further information or details.

The shooting occurred as the bus waited in a parking lot near the Western Wall, the holiest place where Jews can pray. Israeli media identified the alleged attacker as a 26-year-old Palestinian from East Jerusalem.

Israel Police said forces had been dispatched to the scene to investigate. Israeli security forces also entered the nearby Palestinian neighborhood of Silwan to pursue the alleged attacker.

Later Sunday, police said the alleged attacker had turned himself in. Speaking at a cabinet meeting on Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid said the alleged attacker was a Jerusalem resident who was operating alone during the shooting and who had already been arrested by Israel.

Zaka Relief Service volunteers clean up blood from the scene of a shooting that injured several Israelis near the Old City of Jerusalem, early Sunday, August 14, 2022. (AP Photo/ Maya Alleruzzo)

The attack in Jerusalem follows a tense week between Israel and Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank.

Last weekend, Israeli warplanes launched an offensive in the Gaza Strip targeting the Islamic Jihad militant group and sparking three days of heavy cross-border fighting. Islamic Jihad fired hundreds of rockets during the eruption in revenge for the airstrikes, which killed two of its commanders and other militants. Israel said the attack was aimed at thwarting the group’s threats to respond to the arrest of one of its officials in the occupied West Bank.

Forty-nine Palestinians, including 17 children and 14 militants, were killed and several hundred injured in the fighting, which ended in an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire. No Israelis were killed or seriously injured.

The Islamic militant group Hamas, which controls Gaza, remained on the sidelines.

A day after the ceasefire ended the worst round of fighting in Gaza in more than a year, Israeli troops killed three Palestinian militants and injured dozens in a firefight that broke out during an arrest raid in the West Bank city of Nablus.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button