Skip to content
Oxfam suspends two aid workers in DRC after allegations of sexual exploitation


In a statement sent to CNN on Friday, the charity said it was reviewing complaints against senior officials across the country as part of the independent investigation it commissioned in November 2020.

“We are keenly aware of our duty to survivors, including helping them to speak out safely. We are working hard to conclude the investigation fairly, safely and effectively,” an Oxfam spokesperson said. in the press release.

The new allegations and suspensions come just weeks after the charity was finally allowed to bid for government funding following a similar scandal in 2018.

Haiti banned Oxfam after an investigation that year found it was covering up sexual exploitation by staff members following a disastrous earthquake in 2010.

In 2019, the Charity Commission for England and Wales issued an official warning against Oxfam. In a report, he found that problems in Haiti indicating “serious problems with the culture, morale and general behavior” of some staff were not properly addressed and senior management had failed. escalate complaints of sexual misconduct.

According to the Times, allegations against Oxfam staff in the DRC that resulted in the latest suspensions were laid out in a 10-page letter sent to association bosses in February this year and signed by 22 current and former employees.

The new scandal comes as Britain’s aid industry tries to break out of a spate of damning reports of worker sexual abuse. A UK government investigation in 2018 found that such abuses were “endemic” and had been happening for years.

.



Source link