Kevin Spacey will face sexual assault charges in UK court
Actor Kevin Spacey is due to appear in a UK court later this week to face charges of sexual assault and non-consensual activity, the Metropolitan Police said on Monday. The Crown Prosecution Service revealed the charges against the former Hollywood star last month. Spacey said he would travel to the UK and should plead not guilty.
The charges against Spacey involve four counts of sexual assault against three men, as well as “causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent” involving one of the victims, the Met said. He is due to appear in Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.
The five alleged offenses took place in March 2005, August 2008 and April 2013, in London and Gloucestershire, according to the charges. The three victims are men who are now between 30 and 40 years old. Spacey has denied all the allegations.
“Although I am disappointed with their decision to go ahead, I will voluntarily appear in the UK as soon as possible and defend myself against these charges, which I am sure will prove my innocence,” he said in a statement last month, after the CPS announced the charges.
Spacey, 62, started out in theater and became a Hollywood star in 1995, winning an Oscar for his supporting role in ‘The Usual Suspects’. He was then cast in “Seven”, “A Time to Kill” and “Outbreak”, before obtaining a second Oscar for best leading actor in “American Beauty”.
His biggest television role was Frank Underwood, the protagonist of “House of Cards” (2013-2017). The show fired Spacey after several men accused him of sexual misconduct, however, and in November 2021 he was ordered to pay producers $31 million in damages for effectively ending the show. .
While three other US cases against him have been dismissed, Spacey is still facing trial from actor Anthony Rapp, who says he was sexually assaulted in 1986 when he was just 14 years old.