Skip to content
Ollie Robinson ‘takes a short break from cricket’ after England suspension over historic racist and sexist tweets emerged as Sussex problem statement backing bowler


Ollie Robinson is taking a break from cricket after the bowler made headlines last week when historic racist and sexist tweets were discovered.

The 27-year-old made his England debut in the first Test against New Zealand, but it was a marred occasion when the tweets emerged.

AFP

Robinson took seven wickets and scored 42 points on his England debut[/caption]

Robinson read an apology after the first day of play but was suspended by the England and Wales Cricket Council pending an investigation.

The tweets were posted between 2012 and 2014, when he was in his late teens, and debate has been fierce over the punishment to be imposed.

Michael Carberry told talkSPORT that a strong message should be sent and suggested that Robinson should lose his career because of the messages, while Steve Harmison believes the embarrassment is enough punishment.

His club Sussex released a statement on Thursday announcing that Robinson would take a short break from the game and fully support his decision.

Susex said they would not add to any penalties he receives, but instead support the player in his “commitment to continue to educate himself in the area of ​​equality, diversity and inclusion”.

Ollie Robinson ‘takes a short break from cricket’ after England suspension over historic racist and sexist tweets emerged as Sussex problem statement backing bowler
Getty

Robinson’s debut marred by the discovery of old racist and sexist tweets[/caption]

The statement read: “Ollie Robinson will not be part of the Sussex Sharks squad for the team’s first two Vitality Blast games against Gloucestershire and the Hampshire Hawks on Friday and Saturday night.

“After a tough week, Ollie decided to take a little break from the game to spend some time with his young family. The well-being of the players and staff – including mental health and well-being – is a priority for the club and as such Sussex Cricket fully supports Ollie in his decision.

“When he’s ready to return, Ollie will be back at the club, where talks with the rest of the squad over the past week have made it clear that he retains the support of all of his Sussex teammates.

“We remain in close contact with Ollie from a wellness perspective and will post further updates on his availability at relevant times.

“Another of Sussex Cricket’s priorities is to make cricket a game for everyone in our community. Ollie’s tweets were totally unacceptable and their content is totally at odds with our stated ambition to inspire people from all walks of life in our county to say, “I feel like I am a part of Sussex Cricket”.

Ollie Robinson ‘takes a short break from cricket’ after England suspension over historic racist and sexist tweets emerged as Sussex problem statement backing bowler
Getty

Robinson will now take a short break from cricket, Sussex announced[/caption]

“Ollie is a very different man than the one who wrote these tweets and clearly learned a lot in the years that followed. He has clearly expressed the shame, embarrassment and remorse he feels for the discriminatory comments he made.

“As a result of his actions, Ollie has had the opportunity to represent his suspended country, is the focus of intense public and media scrutiny and faces the possibility of further disciplinary action from the ECB.

“Sussex Cricket will not add to these significant penalties. The club will turn its attention to supporting Ollie in her commitment to continue learning in the area of ​​equality, diversity and inclusion.

“Ollie has more to learn in this area. We all do. We all have a responsibility to improve ourselves and make cricket a game for everyone.

“That’s why last year we created an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Sub-Committee of the Sussex Cricket Board of Directors to develop a plan in this area.

Ollie Robinson ‘takes a short break from cricket’ after England suspension over historic racist and sexist tweets emerged as Sussex problem statement backing bowler
AFP

Robinson has taken 286 first-class wickets in his career[/caption]

“Some of the initial actions agreed to include additional training for all of our staff, board and directors, the introduction of diversity champions for specific protected features, urban cricket plans to maximize engagement with diverse communities in Sussex’s largest cities, a commitment to questioning non-inclusive behaviors in our organization and the introduction of regular consultations with our employees, clients, volunteers, officials and players to ensure we know exactly where we can improve ourselves.

“Everyone at the club is committed to deepening our understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion through education. This will be a permanent goal for us and will take time.

“As is evident in society as a whole, there are no quick fixes to solving these deeply rooted problems. Ollie, along with everyone at Sussex Cricket, will be involved in our efforts to ensure that we, as an organization, build on the work we have already done and continue to improve. “

.



Source link