OC man accused of harassing ‘World of Warcraft’ player

A former Orange County Marine has been arrested and faces federal charges for allegedly creating hundreds of Twitter accounts used to stalk a professional video game player who lives in Calgary, Canada, authorities said.

Evan Baltierra, 29, was arrested by FBI agents Monday at his Trabuco Canyon home on suspicion of criminal harassment, according to federal prosecutors. He admitted to investigators that he harassed the woman who made a living as a professional online gamer on the popular ‘War of Warcraft’, authorities said.

The suspect “orchestrated a campaign of harassment targeting the victim, her boyfriend, her friends and her boyfriend’s family,” according to court records.

Baltierra and his attorney could not be reached for comment.

He and the woman met online and Baltierra moderated his online broadcast channel, where the victim streamed live video of himself playing the popular multiplayer online role-playing game, charging documents say. filed in the United States District Court for the Central District of California.

They first met in person at the BlizzCon convention in Anaheim in November 2019, where the victim hosted a meeting with his fans, according to the documents. Baltierra asked the woman to be his online “valentine,” but she declined because she was in a relationship.

The victim later learned from others in the online community that Baltierra was trying to find his home address, and she blocked him from his social media accounts and online broadcast channel, according to court documents.

In response, Baltierra attempted to contact the woman through other social media channels, then reached out to her boyfriend and other friends with threatening messages, including references to violence, according to court documents. He also sent her messages containing pornographic images with her face altered, the FBI said.

More harassment followed, including more threats against the victim and her boyfriend that were posted on Twitter, via email and on the “World of Warcraft” messaging system, according to court records.

In February 2021, the victim obtained a temporary restraining order in Orange County Superior Court, and later the two reached a civil settlement. The victim promised not to file the restraining order, and Baltierra agreed to several terms, including paying her $2,000 through her attorney and not contacting her, her family or friends, according to court documents. ‘charge.

As part of that settlement, the woman agreed to provide the court and Baltierra’s attorney with her contact information, according to the documents. She included an old post office box and her email in the court documents.

Less than a month later, she began receiving spam emails to porn sites and responses to a Craigslist sex ad, prosecutors say. Someone sent a package to the post office box the woman provided in court and when Calgary police inspected it, they discovered it was a box of condoms, prosecutors say.

Someone called the Calgary police to request a welfare check at the woman’s home. The caller, who identified himself as “Austin,” continued to ask police for the woman’s address and said he had previously worked for law enforcement, according to court documents. The number was traced back to Baltierra.

In March this year, the woman received a threatening message on Twitter which read: “Do you know who the most dangerous people in the world are? Those who don’t care what they lose to achieve their goal.

The victim said she had to limit her online presence because of all the harassment she was experiencing, and it cost her money, as her main source of income was streaming video games, according to the court records.

Also in March, investigators served a search warrant at Baltierra’s home and took several devices, including his iPhone, desktop computer and several USB drives as well as a 9-millimeter handgun. Investigators found multiple emails used to harass the victim related to Baltierra’s devices as well as his search history.

Baltierra has posted $15,000 bond, according to court documents, and is due back in court in June.




Los Angeles Times

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button