USA News

NYC subway shooting suspect ate at Katz’s Deli during manhunt: sources

Frank James, the man accused of opening fire on a subway train in Brooklyn, visited several neighborhoods in Manhattan, including a stop at the famous Katz’s Delicatessen, as the NYPD scoured the city for him, sources say policewomen.

James, 62, was arrested Wednesday afternoon in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, authorities said, more than 24 hours after 10 people were shot dead on a crowded N subway as the train arrived at the 36th Street Station in Brooklyn. Twenty-nine people were injured in total in the chaos.

Police recovered James’ phone, credit card and MetroCard from the scene of the shooting, but he had a second phone and a second MetroCard which police now use to track his movements after he escaped capture on the crime scene, law enforcement sources told ABC. News.

After the mass shooting during Tuesday morning’s rush hour, James changed subways, from N to R, and got off the train at the 25th Street station around 8:35 a.m., sources said. He then took the B67 bus to Park Slope, where he bought a new mask and entered the 7th Avenue subway station at 9:18 a.m.

James arrived in Manhattan and on Tuesday evening checked into the Chelsea International Hostel on West 20th Street, sources said.

He came out Wednesday morning and began roaming the streets of Lower Manhattan, hiding in plain sight, sources said.

Multiple sightings began around 10:30 a.m. when he was spotted sitting outside Dimes, a restaurant in Chinatown, sources said. Witnesses took photos of him sitting, apparently using a Link NYC hub to charge his phone, and posted on social media, tagging the police, sources said.

Hours later, James was spotted having lunch at Katz’s on the Lower East Side, sources said.

Just after 1 p.m. Wednesday, James called Crime Stoppers on himself, saying he was in the East Village at a McDonald’s at East 6th Street and First Avenue, sources said. James reportedly said, “I think you’re looking for me. I see my picture all over the news and I’ll be at that McDonald’s.”

By the time the police arrived, James had already left the McDonald’s. But a Good Samaritan spotted James nearby in St. Mark’s Square and First Avenue and reported the police, sources said.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams hosted an event Friday to honor transit workers involved in the response to the subway shooting.

“New York City has shown the world what our city is and has always been: courage, heroism, quick thinking and decisive action,” said Adams, who appeared virtually as he remains in quarantine with COVID. -19.

“No passenger was left behind, no life was lost. And thanks to you, our city continues to function every day,” the mayor said.

Adams also thanked all New Yorkers for their mobilization at various levels, from educators at nearby schools to doctors and nurses at local hospitals to civilians who “rushed to the aid of their fellow travelers.”

Earl Phillips, secretary-treasurer of Transit Workers Union Local 100, praised subway operators and conductors who he said took charge during the active fire situation.

“At all times they were directing passengers, making announcements, moving their trains, taking the police into the tunnels to search for the shooter,” or communicating with emergency responders, he said.

Meanwhile, bus drivers stepped in and “filled the void” by transporting displaced people through the blocked subways, Phillips said.

James was arrested on a federal charge of committing a terrorist act on a transit vehicle. James made his first court appearance on Thursday and pleaded not guilty. He was sentenced to detention without bail.

James’ defense attorney, Mia Eisner-Grynberg, called the shooting a tragedy, but stressed that initial information can often be wrong. She also praised James for turning himself in.

James, who was born in New York, recently lived in an Airbnb in Philadelphia, sources say. He reserved a U-Haul pickup in Philadelphia last week and picked up the truck Monday afternoon, sources said. After stopping at a warehouse, where weapons were later found, he traveled to New York, sources said.

In a court filing, federal prosecutors called the shooting calculated and “entirely premeditated.” They noted that James wore a construction worker-style helmet and jacket as a disguise, then threw them away after the shots were fired to avoid recognition.

Prosecutors suggested James had the wherewithal to carry out more attacks, noting he had ammunition and other gun-related items in a storage unit in Philadelphia.

“The defendant, in a terrifying manner, opened fire on the passengers of a crowded subway train, interrupting their morning commute in a way this city had not seen in over 20 years,” it said Thursday. in court Assistant US Attorney Sara Winik. “The defendant’s attack was premeditated; it was carefully planned; and it struck terror among the victims and throughout our city.”

ABC News

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button