NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The New York location hosting an individual who attempted to assassinate former President Ronald Reagan says the assassination attempt “didn’t take” as many lives as the Reagan administration.
John Hinckley Jr., who shot Reagan in 1981, announced he would perform at the Market Hotel in New York on July 8. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity.
He was 25 when he attempted the assassination, which injured two other people and crippled Reagan’s press secretary James Brady.
JUDGE GRANTS UNCONDITIONAL RELEASE TO JOHN HINCKLEY JR
“Big news!! I will be performing on July 8th at the Market Hotel in Brooklyn, NY. Get your tickets while you can,” Hinckley said.
He has created music and currently has a YouTube account performing covers of various songs, in addition to his own music. The account has over 25,000 subscribers and his videos get thousands of views with his most viewed video getting over 250,000 views.
A Twitter user responded to the ad, saying “best cancel this” and added “What do you think”.
In response, the Market Hotel said in a tweet now deleted that “Hinckley didn’t screw up a billionth life like Administrator Reagan did.”
“And Hinckley has at least been rewarded for what he has done,” the Market Hotel wrote. “He served 40 years, admitted his actions, expressed remorse, was incapacitated when he committed his crimes and received treatment.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
A federal judge ruled last year that Hinckley could be released in 2022 without restrictions. He was at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital for over 34 years until 2016 when he was released with some restrictions.
Barry Levine, Hinckley’s attorney, said his client’s release is a “great day for mental health”.
Hinckley tweeted on Tuesday that his July 8 show was “sold out.”
Timothy HJ Nerozzi of Fox News and The Associated Press contributed to this report