Skip to content
NRL NEWS: ‘I made a mistake but I’m not hungry for money’




Payne Haas has admitted he “made a mistake” signing a six-year contract with Brisbane.

The NSW prop tried to extend and upgrade the contract, which runs until the end of 2024, but when negotiations broke down with the Broncos his management requested an immediate release last week.

After the club denied the request, he was mocked by Broncos fans at Suncorp Stadium last Friday.

“I made a mistake signing too long on my last contract,” he told reporters at the Blues’ camp in Coogee on Monday.

“It’s the same contract they offered me last year. Exactly the same deal. Six years – my last contract, I made a mistake by signing too long.

“What bothers me the most is people saying I’m hungry for money. “If I was, I would have left Brisbane a long time ago.

“I think it’s a fair deal and it’s the same deal they offered me last year, and the Broncos offered it.

“I didn’t ask for it (the new contract) and I asked for it for fewer years. That’s how it is, I’ll let the club and my manager talk.

(Photo by Hannah Peters/Getty Images)

“If it was all about the money, I would have left a long time ago.”

Haas would like performance clauses in his contract extension proposal which would mean he would become a free agent if Brisbane continue to fail to make the final.

Sonny Bill Williams advised Haas on his playing future and he described the two-time Kiwi international as an ideal mentor.

“He tells me to keep a cool head and stick to football. It’s what you do best and that’s all that matters,” added Haas.

“The issues I’m going through right now are nothing compared to what some people are going through.”

The 22-year-old’s future at Red Hill has been clouded since he parted ways with his manager, Chris Orr, who entered talks for a new six-year contract with the Broncos last year.

Haas was evasive when asked if he wanted to stay in Brisbane. He said: “I love Brisbane and the city has welcomed me. But at the end of the day, I base my decision on what’s best for my daughter.

“I’m trying to settle my daughter (for life) and God willing, I will.”

In the past, Fittler has indicated he won’t choose players involved in contract disputes, but Haas assured him that this impasse would not affect the Blues side.

“I told him (Fittler) I wasn’t distracted and I told him I was focused on the job at hand,” he said.

“I think I got more boos than the Titans players…and I understood why it happened with the timing of it all.”

Haas has been named to start prop for NSW ahead of the series opener next Wednesday.

NRL NEWS: ‘I made a mistake but I’m not hungry for money’

(Photo by Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images)

Grant in the Maroons’ ‘quarantine’

Storm hooker Harry Grant will be kept away from the rest of the Queensland squad until Wednesday at the earliest as he recovers from the flu.

Grant was sidelined for Melbourne’s win over Manly last Thursday night with a groin injury and was also sidelined with illness.

Maroons coach Billy Slater says Grant’s ailments prompted them to select him on the bench with in-form Dragons veteran Ben Hunt starting at hooker.

“Harry is still recovering from his groin injury, we think he’s going to play well, but on top of that he’s had the flu for the last five days,” Slater said.

“I think everyone in the game knows the flu is going around and hitting it for a week.

“Harry is actually going to stay in Melbourne until Wednesday and then we’ll bring him up and hopefully he can start on Thursday for us.”




Sports Grp2

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.