COPENHAGEN, Denmark – A Dane detained in Norway on suspicion of a bow and arrow attack on a small town that killed five people and injured two others, is a Muslim convert who had previously been reported as radicalized, a the police announced. Thusday.
“Previously there had been concerns about the radicalization of the man,” Police Chief Ole B. Saeverud told a press conference.
The victims were four women and a man between the ages of 50 and 70, Saeverud said.
The man is suspected of shooting people in several locations in the city of Kongsberg on Wednesday evening.
Several of the victims were in a supermarket, police said.
Norwegian NTB news agency quoted police as saying the suspect had used other weapons as well.
There was “a clash” between the police and the assailant in connection with the arrest, police said without giving details.
The two hospitalized victims are in intensive care. Among them, a policeman on leave who was inside the store. Their condition was not immediately known.
Police said officers responding to the incident were also hit by arrows.
The suspect is being held on preliminary charges, which is a step short of formal charges. The police believe he acted alone.
Police were alerted to the attack around 6:15 p.m. Wednesday and arrested the suspect about 30 minutes later.
Prime Minister-designate Jonas Gahr Stoere, who is due to take office later Thursday, called the attack “horrific”.
“It’s unreal. But the reality is that five people have been killed, many are injured and many are in shock, ”Gahr Stoere told Norwegian television station NRK on Thursday.
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres wrote on Twitter that he was “shocked and saddened by the tragic news from Norway”.
City officials said the main church was open to anyone in need of support.
Kongsberg, a small town of about 26,000 inhabitants, is located about 61 kilometers southwest of Oslo.