Nick Carter has been charged with raping an underage autistic fan in a new trial.
Shannon “Shay” Ruth, now 39, sued Carter, alleging sexual assault. During a press conference held with her lawyers in a Facebook livestream, she alleged that the Backstreet Boys member raped her in 2001 when she was 17.
“The past 21 years have been filled with pain, confusion, frustration, shame and self-harm that are a direct result of Nick Carter’s rape,” the woman said at the press conference.
“Even though I have autism and live with cerebral palsy, I believe nothing has affected me more or had a more lasting impact on my life than what Nick Carter did and told me.
BACKSTREET BOYS’ NICK CARTER MOURNS THE DEATH OF ‘BABY BROTHER’ AARON CARTER
“After he raped me, I remember him calling me ‘retarded b—-‘ and grabbing me and leaving bruises on my arm.”
The woman’s attorney, Mark J. Boskovich, noted that there are three other women whose charges are included in the lawsuit against Carter.
“Nick Carter has a long history of abusing women,” Boskovich said. “Shay is determined to bring Carter to justice. She thinks it’s worth protecting other women.”
Ruth said she had not come forward before because she thought she might “go to jail” for the alleged sexual assault.
Representatives for Carter and Ruth did not respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment by press time.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER
This isn’t the first time Carter has been accused of sexual assault. In 2017, pop girl group member Melissa Schuman also claimed she was raped by the musician.
Carter denied the allegation at the time, saying, “Melissa never spoke to me while we were together or at any time since not everything we did was consensual. We kept recording a song and playing together, and I’ve always been respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally.”
Prosecutors declined to prosecute Carter at the time due to the statute of limitations expiring.
“The whistleblower alleged that in 2003, she was the victim of a sexual assault perpetrated by the suspect in her apartment…” prosecutors said. “The statute of limitations expired in 2013. Therefore, an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the evidence is not warranted, and the case is dismissed.”
At one point Carter’s brother Aaron Carter called Nick a “serial rapist” and compared him to Jeffrey Epstein in a series of tweets. The two had been in a feud at the time.
Aaron had wanted to mend his relationship with his brother in the days leading up to Aaron’s death on November 5. He apologized to the pop star in a podcast interview at the time.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
“Unfortunately I tried to play god and defend an alleged rape victim of Nick,” Aaron said during an appearance on the “No Jumper” podcast. “And, to my brother, I would like to apologize and say I love you. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that.”