National NewsUSA News

New Jersey vet faces multiple animal cruelty charges

NEWARK, New Jersey — A New Jersey veterinarian has been charged with abusing dogs. Several of them even died in his custody.

Jose Lopes took his dog to Newark Veterinary Hospital for stitches after sustaining a small cut on his back.

“Half an hour later he called me, and I was already scared. Why did he call me? ‘Oh, she’s dead.’ How come she died?” Lopes told CBS2’s Kevin Rincon on Wednesday.

His veterinarian was Dr. Ehren Yablon. The 44-year-old now faces multiple counts of animal cruelty.

“They have to shut this place down. They have to shut them down. They’re going to keep killing,” Lopes said.

“This guy is evil, really, really evil,” added Alessandra Esteves, who lives next door to the animal hospital.

Esteves said her friend brought her dog in for a checkup, but never came home.

“Then he charged the woman $2,600, claiming the dog died during the operation,” Esteves said.

The Essex County Prosecutor’s Office said its investigation began in June last year when a woman brought her English bulldog to the office for an examination. The vet said he needed surgery. The next day he died. Another vet examined the remains and found they had never had surgery, Rincon reported.

“It’s literally just a freak. It’s a monstrous thing to do to these animals,” Jessica Portillo said.

Portillo brought one of his Yorkshire terriers for a visit, when he was exposed to parvo. In all, five of his dogs have died from this virus.

“A lot of people can just say they’re dogs, but to me, they’re my kids. They’re my best friends, and it’s not fair for anyone to go through that,” Portillo said.

She enlisted the help of Susan Janette, who runs the Rosemarie Rescue Ranch, and managed to save one of her dogs, named Lexi.

The virus spread from a huskie at the vet. The owner has also worked with Janette. Turns out he lost seven huskies to the virus who were all taken to the hospital. Before they died, the vet refused to let the owners go without payment.

“This doctor was holding these dogs hostage for $1,600 cash ransom for services that weren’t even provided,” Janette said.

So far, there have been no comments from this vet. He will be in court for his first appearance on May 17 and, for now, his clinic remains open to the public.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.

Sara Adm

Amateur tv aficionado. Freelance zombie junkie. Pop culture trailblazer. Organizer. Web buff. Social media evangelist.
Back to top button