Skip to content
New details emerge about naval medic who shot 2 sailors before being killed by police

A naval medic who shot and injured two U.S. sailors before being killed by police at a nearby army base has been assigned to a naval medical research center in Maryland for nearly two years, according to his service history.

Fantahun Girma Woldesenbet

Frederick Police Department

Fantahun Girma Woldesenbet, 38, and the two men he shot were all assigned to Fort Detrick in Frederick, authorities said after Tuesday’s shooting.

Woldesenbet’s service record shows that he enlisted in September 2012 and recently reported to the Naval Medical Research Center in Frederick in August 2019. In between, he served at military facilities in San Antonio, TX. ; Camp Lejeune in North Carolina; Corpus Christi, Texas; Bremerton, Washington; and Portsmouth, Virginia.

Woldesenbet received a Good Conduct Medal, a National Defense Service Medal and a World War on Terrorism Service Medal, as his record shows. He lists his rank as 3rd Class of Hospitaller Corpsman.

Frederick Police Department released a photo of Woldesenbet on Wednesday.

One of the injured sailors was released from a Baltimore hospital on Tuesday afternoon, while the other was in critical condition, military officials said on the Navy Twitter account.

One of the two sailors injured in the shooting in Frederick received help from strangers who worked across the street, witnesses said.

A representative for Nicolock Paving Stones told CBS affiliate WUSA-TV that after a victim was shot, he walked through the intersection to seek help. The director of operations and at least two other witnesses in Nicolock, already assembled by the front, let the victim enter.

“He was covered in blood and all he said to us was, ‘I’ve been shot, there’s an active shooter and he’s still chasing me or he’s still following me,'” the director said. of Garett Wagner operations at WUSA. “We acted immediately and intervened. I told him to go to the bathroom and close the door.

Wagner said the victim told him he knew the shooter and that they were having coffee when “all hell broke loose.”

The Navy says it is sending a “special rapid psychiatric response team” to Fort Detrick to provide mental health services to base residents.

Authorities have not disclosed the possible motive for the shooting, which took place in a warehouse rented by the Naval Medical Research Center of the Biological Defense Research Directorate to store research supplies and equipment. The facility is located in Riverside Tech Park, an office park several miles from the base.

“We’re still trying to sort through piles of paper … to determine exactly what the motive would be,” Frederick Police Lt. Andrew Alcorn said on Tuesday.

Army base chaplain Lt. Col. Gregory Jackson said in a Facebook post that the shootings are leaving a lasting mark on the community of Fort Detrick “with a lot of questions, and the most important one will be why?”

“Why did this person choose to do what he did?” He asked. “I wish I had had answers to these questions, but we don’t always know the reason.”

Woldesenbet shot the sailors with a rifle. He then proceeded to the base, where the gate guards who had been warned in advance told him to stop for a search, Brig said. General Michael Talley. But Woldesenbet immediately sped off, going about half a mile into the facility before being pulled over in a parking lot by base police. When he drew a gun, the police shot him dead, Talley said.

At a press conference on Tuesday, Talley declined to specifically identify the facility where the initial shooting took place or describe the work being done there.

Fort Detrick is home to the Army’s flagship biological defense laboratory and several federal civilian biodefense laboratories. About 10,000 military and civilian personnel work at the base, which covers approximately 1,300 acres (526 hectares) in the town of Frederick.

Woldesenbet lived in an apartment building in Frederick, a few miles from the scene of the shooting. Police cordoned off the apartment on Tuesday afternoon and a neighbor reported seeing officials escorting his wife and children out of the building.


Source link