This Friday is arguably the best day of the year: it’s National Coffee Day.
Coffee shops big and small celebrate it every year with free coffee (what else?) and other deals. Peet’s even offers a “disloyalty program” that encourages its competitors’ customers to switch suppliers.
Sixty-seven percent of Americans drink coffee every day – more than any other beverage, including water – according to the National Coffee Association (NCA).
A recently released report from the NCA also indicates that coffee consumption continues to “rebound” following the Covid-19 pandemic, particularly with consumption increasing at work as businesses force employees to return to the office. In fact, enjoying coffee at the office has “rebounded to pre-pandemic levels” with 36% of Americans participating. The rate of people drinking coffee at home is still higher than pre-pandemic, at 82%.
Here’s how some of the biggest chains are celebrating:
- Circle K is offering a free cup of coffee of any size through its app through October 2, with the offer valid at more than 7,000 locations across the United States.
- Dunkin’ is offering members of its loyalty program, Dunkin’ Rewards, a free medium hot or iced coffee with any purchase on Friday.
- Krispy Kreme does it better: completely free coffee! Any customer can get a medium hot or iced coffee, without any purchase. The chain recently revamped its coffee with “better beans, smoother blends and richer roasts for a fresh, delicious flavor,” she said.
- Cafe Peet says it’s “disrupting the coffee industry” with a new “disloyalty program.” For the first time ever, members of its competitors’ rewards programs (including Starbucks and Dunkin’) can use points earned elsewhere for a free coffee at Peet’s. A website has been created to complete the process.
- Leaf is offering customers a free Nitro or cold brew coffee (any size) with any purchase made through its app through October 1.
- Tim Hortons offers members of its rewards program a free medium hot or iced coffee with any purchase of $3 or more.
- Wendy’s sells small hot or iced coffee for 99 cents on its application.