National Archives denies Trump’s baseless claims about Obama records


The National Archives and Records Administration released a statement Friday in an effort to address inaccuracies regarding former President Barack Obama’s presidential records after days of misinformation being circulated by former President Donald Trump and conservative commentators.

Since the FBI raided his Florida home and club this week for classified documents kept there, Trump has claimed in social media posts that Obama “keeps 33 million pages of documents, most of which were classified”, and that they had been “taken to Chicago by President Obama.”

In its statement, NARA said it was given “sole legal and physical custody” of Obama’s files when he left office in 2017. It said about 30 million pages of unclassified files had been transferred at a NARA facility in the Chicago area and that they be maintained “exclusively by NARA”.

Obama’s classified files are stored at a NARA facility in Washington, the statement said.

“As required by the [Presidential Records Act]former President Obama has no control over where or how NARA stores his administration’s presidential records,” the statement said.

Despite the official statement, Trump continued to peddle his false allegations in light of the Washington Post report that classified nuclear weapons documents were among the items sought by FBI agents during a search of Trump’s residence. in Florida on Monday, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Minutes after the archive’s statement, Trump again pushed his claim without evidence in response to the latest reports, saying, “What are they going to do with the 33 million pages of documents, many of them classified, that President Obama took in Chicago?


Washington

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button