The family of Daisy Hayes, who disappeared in 2018, were stunned by Friday’s verdict.
“To see this man go free as free and she’s somewhere lost. She’s lost,” Hayes’ daughter Teresa Smith said. “We fought so hard to get justice for her and the judge let me down yesterday.”
Hayes’ 75-year-old boyfriend Jimmy Jackson, who had been charged with murder, home invasion and covering up the 65-year-old’s death, is now free after a county judge Cook found him not guilty.
SEE ALSO | Handyman suspect confessed to stabbing his mother more than 55 times after asking her to leave: prosecutor
“It ripped my heart out of my body. All I could do was scream and run out of the courtroom, like ‘what didn’t you see? “, Smith said.
Smith said security footage, which was part of the trial, showed Jackson leaving his mother’s Chicago Housing Authority apartment the night he disappeared, carrying a suitcase large enough to hold Hayes’ 85-pound body and 5 feet 2 inches inside.
Although Hayes’ body was never found, Jackson, who traveled to Tennessee after his disappearance, was flown back to Chicago to face murder charges.
“You see him struggling with this suitcase. You actually see him putting the suitcase in the dumpster. You actually see him taking trash from other dumpsters and putting it on top of it so it can be concealed .need more Diana Kenworthy? That was the judge.”
The judge said the video, plus any signs of a struggle inside the apartment or any biological evidence of a crime, was not enough to prove he killed her.
RELATED | 4th body found in Chicago waterways identified as missing woman from Back of the Yards, police say
“We were completely shocked,” said Shannon Bennett, executive director of the Kenwood Oakland Community Organization. “Everyone in this courtroom.”
Bennett was in the courtroom and says the family did not receive justice.
“It was just heartbreaking. I feel for Teresa, her grandchildren, they deserve better and we’re going to make sure that at least we do what we would do if it was our mother,” Bennett said.
ABC7 contacted the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, who said, “As in all cases, we have pursued this case to the fullest extent possible and will continue to do so on behalf of all victims. of Cook County”.
Copyright © 2022 WLS-TV. All rights reserved.