Skip to content
MLB, Blue Jays fire Roberto Alomar after sexual misconduct investigation

Hall of Fame second baseman Roberto Alomar was fired from two consulting roles and placed on baseball’s ineligible list on Friday after an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct stemming from an incident on the workplace in 2014.

Alomar, 53, was fired from his MLB consultant job and was also fired by the Blue Jays, for whom he had held a similar role. The Blue Jays also announced that the team is “severing all ties” with Alomar, which will include removing its banner from Rogers Center and removing its name from the team’s level of excellence. Alomar played in Toronto from 1991 to 1995 and was part of the team’s two World Series titles.

“At the request of my office, an independent investigation was conducted by an external law firm to examine an allegation of sexual misconduct reported by a baseball industry employee earlier this year involving Mr. Alomar in 2014,” he said. MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement announcing the sanctions. “After reviewing all available evidence from the now completed investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB policies and that the termination of his consulting contract and his placement on the non-eligible list of the MLB are justified.

“We are grateful for the courage of the individual who has come forward,” continued Manfred. “MLB will continue to strive to create environments in which people feel comfortable speaking out without fear of grievance, retaliation or exclusion.”

TSN reported, citing an anonymous source, that the complaint against Alomar was filed “months ago” and claims he exhibited inappropriate behavior in an incident that occurred years before. The alleged victim is said to have plans to sue Alomar, the Blue Jays and Major League Baseball, according to TSN.

Meanwhile, Alomar’s Baseball Hall of Fame plaque in Cooperstown, New York, will remain on display, President Jane Forbes Clark said in a statement.

“The National Baseball Hall of Fame was shocked and saddened to learn the news shared today about Roberto Alomar. When he was elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America in the class of 2011, Alomar was an eligible candidate in good standing, “the statement read.” His plaque will remain on display in the Hall of Fame in recognition of his achievements in the game, and his dedication reflects his eligibility and the views of BBWAA voters for it. moment. “

Alomar played for seven teams during his 17-year MLB career and retired before the 2005 season.





Source link