Nature

Mike Tyson takes on Hulu for stealing his story from new series: ‘Heads will roll for this’

Mike Tyson clashes with Hulu over new ‘Mike’ series.

In a series of statements posted to his social media accounts on Saturday, the famous boxer hit out at the company for allegedly producing the biographical series without his approval and without compensation.

In an Instagram post, Tyson noted that he doesn’t support Hulu’s upcoming limited series about his life and career: “Hulu is the streaming version of the slave master. They stole my story and didn’t pay me.

The former undisputed world heavyweight champion also expressed his disdain for the upcoming show on Twitter.

“Hulu stole my story. They are Goliath and I am David. Heads are gonna roll for this,” Tyson wrote.

In June, the subscription streaming service announced that “Mike” was set to premiere on August 25.

Following its announcement, the series in eight episodes has since been a sensitive subject for the boxer.

In a statement to Entertainment TonightTyson further slammed Hulu for telling his life story without reaching out to him.

“My right to life option expired years ago. Hulu nor any member of their haughty team has ever attempted to engage in negotiations with this black man. In their eyes, I am still just a ****r on the auction block ready to be sold for their benefit with no regard for my worth or my family,” he told the outlet. .

“They say this story is an exploration of a black man. It’s more like an exploitation of a black man. Hulu thinks their tracks being covered by hiring black sacrificial lambs to act as ringleaders for their backdoor heist is appalling. I will always remember this blatant disregard for my dignity,” Tyson added.

Starring Trevante Rhodes (“Moonlight”) as Tyson, the show says it will detail “the tumultuous ups and downs of Tyson’s boxing career and personal life – from being a world athlete beloved to an outcast and vice versa”, according to Hulu official synopsis.

Tyson’s latest round of digs at the streamer came after he posted to Instagram on Saturday congratulating UFC President Dana White for allegedly turning down an opportunity to promote the series.

“Hulu desperately tried to pay my brother @danawhite millions without offering me a dollar to promote their slave master taking over my life,” he wrote.

“He declined because he honors friendship and treats people with dignity. I will never forget what he did for me, just like I will never forget what Hulu stole from me.

“Mike” showrunner Karin Gist spoke about the series during Hulu’s Television Critics Tour panel on Thursday, according to the deadline.

“We just wanted to tell an unbiased story and let the audience decide what they think or feel,” Gist said. “Challenging what people think they know about Mike and hoping they walk away from the show with something else to think about. Love him or hate him, does the story bring you wondering how complicit society has been? That was the intention, that was the North Star for the writers room as we created stories.

After Hulu first ordered the limited series in February 2021, Tyson spoke out against the production early last year in a since-deleted Instagram post.

He called it “cultural hijacking” and said the unauthorized retelling of a black man’s life coming “as a result of social disparities in our country” was a “typical example” of “the greed of companies” from Hulu.

Tyson is reportedly working on a separate project about his life with Jamie Foxx and director Antoine Fuqua.

HuffPost has contacted Hulu for comment.




huffpost

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button