PoliticsUSA News

Michigan school officials could face charges over Oxford school shooting


Oxford High School officials could be accused of ignoring warning signs of the deadly shooting allegedly committed by Ethan Crumbly, 15, of Oakland County, Mich., Prosecutor Karen McDonald told NBC .

When demand by NBC Today show if it is “possible that the officials of the school are indicted”, replied the prosecutor: “It is possible, yes. “

McDonald’s has previously charged Crumbley’s parents with manslaughter because “they should have known their son was emotionally disturbed and should have prevented him from bringing a handgun to school,” as reported Breitbart News.

Ethan Crumbley, center, appears on a video arraignment at the 52nd District Court in Rochester Hills, Mich. On Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021. Authorities say Crumbley, a 15-year-old sophomore, opened fire on Oxford High School, killing four students and injuring seven others on Tuesday. (AP Photo / Paul Sancya)

Speaking about what she sees as parental involvement, McDonald said, “Anyone who has had the opportunity to stop this tragedy should have done so. The question is, what did they know and when did they know it? The idea that a parent could read those words and also have access to a lethal weapon they gave them… it’s criminal.

The words she is referring to come from violently graphic images that Crumbley is said to have drawn with inscriptions such as “thoughts won’t stop, help me”, “blood everywhere”, “my life is useless” and “the world is dead ”.

She said similar levels of negligence for not noticing Crumbley’s red flags could lead to charges against directors.

While McDonald did not elaborate on her comment, it is possible that she is looking for other warning signs that were missed or not reported by school officials. In that vein, Oxford Community Schools Director Tim Throne has launched a ‘third party investigation’ into possible Crumbley red flags leading to the shooting, promising to ‘leave nothing behind’. These warning signs and apparently others are the main justification for the rare decision to bring charges against the parents of the alleged shooter.

Likewise, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel offered his office resources to help with an investigation in a tweet responding to Throne’s investigation news, but did not specifically point out school administrators.

The 15-year-old suspected gunman has been charged as an adult with murder and terrorism. He and his parents are being held in the same prison, and all three remain under suicidal supervision. They also all pleaded not guilty.

Breccan F. Thies is a journalist for Breitbart News. You can follow him on Twitter @BreccanFThies.




Breitbart

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button