MIAMI – Pete Alonso’s future with the Mets will undoubtedly be a high priority item on the team’s agenda this offseason, especially with the arrival of a new president of baseball operations.
But thinking the All-Star first baseman and the Mets have agreed to terms on a new contract seems misguided.
Mets general manager Billy Eppler denied in a text message to reporters Wednesday a report that the team and player “were on the same page” in financial terms on a new deal, but remained separated on the duration of the contract.
The SI.com report stated that Alonso was seeking a 10-year contract.
“While we understand the media and public interest in player contract situations, we strongly believe it is important to keep these conversations private,” Eppler said. “The circulating reports do not accurately reflect our conversations with Pete.”
Alonso, 29, who is signed through next season, was discussed in trade talks with the Brewers before the Aug. 1 deadline, according to a source.
But it is unclear to what extent an agreement was actually able to materialize.
David Stearns was hired last week as the Mets’ new president of baseball operations — he will begin his new job after the regular season ends — and will be responsible for deciding how to proceed with Alonso.
“I love representing this organization, I love being a Met,” Alonso said last month. “I love representing New York City in the best way possible. I love everyone in this clubhouse and being a Met is all I know.
Alonso entered Wednesday’s game tied for second in MLB with 45 home runs.
. Overall, he owned a .221/.325/.521 slash line with 112 RBIs.
He has been an All-Star in each of the last two seasons.
New York Post