National NewsUSA News

Meghan Markle video uploaded by Brooklyn shooting suspect Frank James


A video referencing Meghan Markle was among those uploaded to the YouTube channel of Brooklyn subway shooting suspect Frank James.

James, 62, has been identified as the suspect in the Brooklyn subway shooting on Tuesday which saw 29 people hospitalized. He was apprehended by NYPD officers on Wednesday after a 30-hour manhunt and charged with committing “acts of terrorism or other acts of violence on public transportation.”

James operated a YouTube channel under the name “Prophet of Truth 88” posting videos referencing the “civil war” between the races. Among the videos uploaded to the channel, one has been identified as being related to Meghan Markle.

In a screenshot of a selection of uploads to James’s channel posted to Twitter by the founder of social media analytics platform Bot Sentinel Christopher Bouzy, a video titled “REJECTED” with a thumbnail showing two images of Meghan can be clearly seen.

James’ account was deleted from the platform on Wednesday with YouTube spokesperson Jack Malon recounting Newsweek: “Following the tragic event in New York, our Trust and Safety team has identified and closed a YouTube channel associated with the suspect, in accordance with our Creator Accountability Guidelines,”

“Additionally, our systems highlight videos from authoritative sources in research and recommendations, including making our Top News shelf appear above related search results.”

The content of the video relating to Meghan has not been seen by Newsweek but other uploads on James’s channel make various extreme racial and social claims, including that the white community believes “black people’s rightful place is as slaves”.

Meghan has opened up about the level of racial abuse she has suffered publicly and privately since becoming a senior royal in 2018. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey in March 2021, the Duchess, alongside Prince Harry , recounted how an anonymous member of the royal family made racist comments about the skin color of the couple’s future children.

Meghan’s YouTube trolling campaign

The Duchess is used to being the subject of unwanted attention on YouTube.

In 2022, it was revealed that Meghan had been the target of a monetized hate campaign.

According to a report compiled by Bouzy’s Bot Sentinel, three prominent YouTube channels creating extremely critical videos about Meghan have generated up to $494,729 from more than 70 million views during their time on the platform.

The report states that “Based on the data and extensive evidence we have gathered, our research has revealed a sustained coordinated campaign to defame Harry and Meghan and tarnish their brand… The campaign spans multiple social media platforms on several continents”.

The Duchess’ stance against digital hate

Meghan has also used her platform to speak out about the level of abuse she experiences online and how it has affected her mental health, while advocating for a safer and more positive social media landscape.

“I was told that in 2019 I was the most trolled person in the world, male or female,” the Duchess said speaking on the Teen therapy podcast with Harry in 2020, “it’s almost unsurvivable, it’s so big, you can’t think what it feels like, because I don’t care if you’re 15 or 25, if people say things about you who aren’t’ It’s true, what it does to your mental and emotional health is so damaging.”

“For my own preservation, I haven’t been on social media for a very long time,” she later explained at Fortune’s Most Powerful Next Gen Summit in October 2020.

“I made a personal choice not to have an account so I don’t know what’s out there and many ways that help me.”

March 2022 marked the two-year anniversary of Meghan and Harry’s exit from social media, with the couple focusing on other forms of digital communication such as podcasts and documentaries.

For more royal news and commentary, check out Newsweek’s The Royal Report podcast:
A video referencing Meghan Markle was found among those uploaded to the YouTube channel of Brooklyn subway gunman Frank James. James pictured being arrested by the NYPD, April 13, 2022. Meghan pictured at a royal engagement in Britain, October 3, 2018.
David Dee Delgado/Getty Images/Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images


gb7

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button