Skip to content
Match Report – Warrington 14 – 24 St Helens

St Helens put on a top-level clash with the Catalans Dragons at Magic Weekend as they take on Warrington who also seeks a top-two finish in the Super League

Last update: 08/30/21 10:23 PM

Mark Percival pushes back Stefan Ratchford to score for Saints

St Helens virtually ended Warrington’s hopes of finishing in the top two in the Betfred Super League with an exciting 24-14 victory at Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The Champions’ victory means it will be a direct head-to-head between Kristian Woolf’s side and leaders Catalans Dragons for the shield of the league leaders, with the top two facing off at Newcastle’s St James’ Park next weekend in Magic Weekend.

In a breathless contest, the Saints won tries thanks to Kevin Naiqama, Lewis Dodd, James Bentley and Mark Percival with Lachlan Coote scoring four goals.

Warrington responded with tries from Ben Currie and George Williams and three goals from Stefan Ratchford.

Match Report – Warrington 14 – 24 St Helens

Goal of Kevin Maiqama

Wolves were deprived of mainstay Mike Cooper, who injured his leg in Thursday’s win over Huddersfield.

St Helens greeted Tommy Makinson and Bentley after a suspension and Percival returned to center after resting in the win over Leigh which saw the Champions lose key half-back Jonny Lomax with a hamstring problem, from so the versatile Jack Welsby started from a distance.

The Saints started impressively and almost took the lead after just three minutes, but Currie managed to hit James Roby over the line in front of Coote after confirmation from the video referee.

The visitors continued to dominate the first half and two tries in four minutes gave the champions a lead their initial pressure deserved.

Match Report – Warrington 14 – 24 St Helens

George Williams of Warrington scores his second try

First, Welsby’s superb pass allowed Naiqama to land, then, four minutes later, Coote’s break and pass allowed the Dodd to sustain a clear run towards the line.

Coote was on the right track with a conversion to give the Saints a 10-0 advantage midway through the first half.

Wolves made little impression on a fierce defensive effort from St Helens in the first half hour and – on the rare occasions they came close to the line – they couldn’t find any way to overcome a tackle without compromise.

But despite being the second best for most of the half-time, the home side turned the game around with two tries in the final eight minutes of half-time.

Williams – on his home debut – was the provider of Warrington’s opening try after 32 minutes when his break gave Currie a break, then Jake Mamo and Josh Thewlis combined bottom right and kick The winger’s foot was picked up by the former Wigan man, who crashed over into the corner.

Ratchford was on track with both conversions and triggered a penalty after the halftime siren sounded to give Warrington an unlikely 14-10 advantage at the break.

Match Report – Warrington 14 – 24 St Helens

Alex Walmsley of St Helens is tackled

The opposing team restarted the second half on the front foot and after Currie refused Naiqama with a test tackle, they regained the lead when Joe Batchelor stole the ball from Mamo and handed it to Percival, who ran 70 yards for a thrilling try that Coote converted.

This gave the champions some momentum again and Woolf’s men secured the win when Bentley passed and Coote converted to take the lead to 22-14.

In a rambling finish, Tom Lineham was sent to the trash for a high tackle on Coote with the rear landing the resulting penalty.

In the dying seconds, Gareth Widdop and Bentley also received yellow cards after a skirmish.


Source link