There have been many calls for restraint and condemnation internationally following the assassination of Iranian nuclear physicist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh on November 27.
Many countries around the world, especially in the Middle East, have condemned the assassination of the head of the Iranian Defense Ministry’s research and innovation department, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, on November 27, 2020 near Tehran. Calls for restraint have also been launched from all sides.
For its part, Iran said on November 30 that the scientist had been the victim of a “complex” operation involving “completely new” means, accusing at the same time the Mossad, the Israeli secret services, of being. responsible.
In a statement quoted by Kuwaiti news agency KUNA, Foreign Minister Ahmad Nasser Al Mohammed Al Sabah expressed his “rejection of anything that would increase tensions and undermine stability in the region”, and offered his condolences to Iran.
His Lebanese counterpart Charbel Wehbé urged “all parties to exercise the utmost restraint to avoid a slide into the region’s worst-case scenario”, according to a statement quoted by Reuters.
The Lebanese Shiite movement Hezbollah said the answer to the assassination was in Iran’s hands.
Whoever is behind this attack and seeks to use it for their own political gain must be held accountable.
Russia expresses deep concern
The information and press department of the Russian Foreign Ministry also issued a statement on November 30 condemning the assassination of the Iranian researcher. “We express our deep concern at this provocative attack which clearly aims to destabilize the situation and increase the risk of conflict in the region. Whoever is behind this attack and seeks to use it in their own political interest must be held responsible ”, we can read in this text.
The stability and security of the Middle East and Persian Gulf region is a constant priority for the Russian Federation
He added: “The stability and security of the Middle East and Persian Gulf region is a constant priority of the Russian Federation. Our efforts and initiatives within the United Nations, other international platforms and within the framework of our bilateral relations with the States of the region aim to implement this priority. We call on all parties to refrain from any action that could escalate tensions. ”
The day before and the day before, on November 29 and 28, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Iraq, Turkey and Qatar also condemned the assassination of nuclear physicist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh.
Of course, we condemn any unlawful murder or murder
Iran called on UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres on November 27 to strongly condemn this assassination and to take “the necessary measures against its perpetrators”. “Warning the United States and Israel against any risky action against my country, especially during the remainder of the governance of the current United States administration, the Islamic Republic of Iran reserves the right to take all measures necessary to defend its people and guarantee their interests, ”wrote Iran’s representative to the United Nations, Majid Takht Ravanchi, quoted by Reuters.
“Of course, we condemn any murder or unlawful murder,” said Stéphane Dujarric, the Organization’s spokesperson on November 28. The spokesperson also urged “restraint and the need to avoid any action that could lead to an aggravation of tensions in the region”.
France is monitoring the situation “with attention”, concerns in London and Berlin
The French Foreign Ministry called on November 30 for “restraint” to “avoid an escalation of regional tensions”. “In a tense regional context, we are closely monitoring [les] repercussions in Iran and in the region ”of the assassination of Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, underlines the Quai d’Orsay in a press release.
“We call for restraint, to preserve the channels of dialogue and negotiation”, concludes the French ministry, calling for “to avoid an escalation of tensions”.
We are waiting to have a full view of the facts
“We are concerned about the situation in Iran and in the region,” British foreign minister Dominic Raab told Sky News, calling for “a de-escalation of tensions.” “We wait until we have a full view of the facts”, but “we stick to the rule of international humanitarian law which is very clearly against targeting civilians.”
We are very worried
“We are very worried about reports from Iran that Mohsen Fakhrizadeh was killed in an attack,” a spokesman for the German Foreign Ministry told AFP on November 28.
“We urge all parties to abandon any step that could lead to a further escalation of the situation”, which “we absolutely do not need at the moment,” he added.
Iran cries out for revenge
On November 28, Iranian authorities accused Israel of being behind the assassination of atomist scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh. President Hassan Rohani assured that the Hebrew state wished to sow “chaos”, and promised that Fakhrizadeh’s death would be avenged “in due course”. He added that Israel had acted as a “mercenary” of the United States.
In the Iranian Parliament, the deputies unanimously signed on November 29 an appeal to avenge the scientist. They advocate the passage of a law that would allow Iran to end the authorization given to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to inspect its nuclear facilities.
The statement by members of the Majlis (Iranian Parliament) was read on November 29. It states that “such atrocity leads to an immediate and regrettable response” and proposes “a revival of the brilliant nuclear industry of the country by terminating its voluntary adherence to the Additional Protocol”. Parliament spokesman Mohammad-Baqer Qalibaf called for “a strong response” to the assassination.
The IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi, however, let it be known on November 30 that he had not received a notification to stop his inspections and that he fully intended to continue his mission: “For our part, we are continuing and we certainly hope that will be the case on their side, ”he said.
Mohsen Fakhrizadeh was accused in April 2018 by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of being the head of an Iranian nuclear program for military purposes which Iran has always denied.
Contacted by AFP, a spokesperson for the Israeli prime minister declined to comment. The American daily New York Times However, said a US official and two intelligence officials had confirmed that Israel was behind the attack, without further details.