Manchester United’s shock bid for Marko Arnautovic’s shock bid has been rejected, according to reports.
Erik ten Hag is still keen to strengthen his attacking options before the transfer window closes on September 1.
Speculation still surrounds Cristiano Ronaldo’s future after he told the club he wanted to leave earlier this summer, although it looks increasingly likely that he will stay for the final year of his contract.
Edinson Cavani left United on a free transfer, while Anthony Martial missed the season opener through injury, leaving them short of a lead.
And a surprise report in The Athletic claims the Red Devils submitted £6.75m [€8m] attempt to bring Arnautovic back to the Premier League.
However, Sky Sports report that the offer for the 33-year-old has been rejected by his club Bologna.
Arnautovic’s brother Danijel, who is also his agent, revealed that an offer had been made for the player but refused to confirm which club it was.
“It is true that there is an application from a known club,” he said. I am in contact with Bologna to see if this can be achieved.
Most Read Football
Man United reaction to Brighton LIVE: Ten Hag reflects on ‘genuine disappointment’
Ferdinand warns Sterling to ‘prepare for memes’ as image goes viral
Ex-Liverpool star hits back as Fulham brazenly dig Klopp’s draw excuse
‘Best Spurs signing since Gazza’ – Levy move hailed by ex-Chelsea stars
Lampard confirms Godfrey left for months after breaking his leg
Villa’s ‘unacceptable’ display leaves Agbonlahor speechless with ‘non-existent’ Coutinho
Arnautovic played 184 Premier League games for Stoke and West Ham, scoring 43 goals, before leaving the Hammers in July 2019 to join Port Shanghai.
Arnautovic previously worked with Ten Hag and his Man United assistant Steve McClaren when McClaren was the manager and Ten Hag was his assistant at Dutch side FC Twente.
Coincidentally, Arnautovic is being managed by former caretaker Red Devils boss Ralf Rangnick at international level, having taken the job from Austria in the summer.
The striker is said to be keen on a move to Old Trafford and could force a Bologna exit.
The news sparked a backlash from supporters with talkSPORT host and prominent Man United fan as host of The United Stand Mark Goldbridge weighing in.
He wrote on Twitter: “Manchester United are interested in signing Marko Arnautovic…..Example A that we are going into Desperation Mode. That is definitely not part of the plan.
Paddy Power: Bet £5 via the talkSPORT EDGE app with Paddy Power and get a £5 free bet – available to all customers* – CLAIM HERE
Bet365: Bet €10 Get €50 Free Bets* – CLAIM HERE
Paddy Power T&Cs: Place a £5 sportsbook bet via the talkSPORT EDGE app between 1st and 31st August. Get a €5 free bet on the Monday following your qualifying bet. Terms and conditions apply. 18+ Begambleaware.org
Bet365 Terms and Conditions: Account Opening Offer. Bet €10 and get €50 free bets for new customers at bet365. Minimum deposit requirement. Free bets are paid out as betting credits and can be used when settling qualifying bets. Minimum odds, betting and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude wagering bet credits. Deadlines and terms and conditions apply 18+ Begambleaware.org
SEE MORE FREE BET OFFERS HERE