Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy described as a ‘predator’ who ‘turned the pursuit of women for sex into a game’ in court


Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy is a ‘predator’ who ‘turned the pursuit of women for sex into a game’, a court has heard.

The France international appeared at Chester Crown Court on Monday for his trial on eight counts of rape, one count of attempted rape and one count of sexual assault.

Mendy has not played for City since last August
Getty

Prosecutors allege Mendy showed “callous indifference” to his accusers, who were described in court as “vulnerable, scared, isolated”.

The 28-year-old – a £52million signing for Man City who prosecutors say enjoyed a ‘privileged and wealthy lifestyle’ – allegedly committed the offenses against seven women between October 2018 and August of Last year.

Opening the case against the defendant, prosecutor Timothy Cray QC told a jury: “The prosecution’s case is straightforward – it has little to do with football.

“Instead, we say, this is another chapter in a very old story – men who rape and sexually assault women because they think they are powerful and because they think they can get away with it.”

Man City suspended Mendy last August after he was charged by police.

Mendy’s co-defendant, Louis Saha Matturie, 40, denies eight counts of rape and four counts of sexual assault involving eight young women.

Mr Cray told jurors that Saha, of Eccles, Salford, was Mendy’s friend and fixer, and one of her jobs was to ‘find young women and create situations where those young women could be raped and sexually assaulted”.

The prosecutor said Mendy was a “reasonably famous football player” who “because of his wealth and status, others were willing to help him get what he wanted”.

“Our case is that the defendants’ pursuit of these 13 women turned them into predators, who were willing to commit serious sexual crimes,” Mr Cray said.

“The acts the defendants committed together show a callous indifference to the women they were pursuing.

“In their minds, and it couldn’t be clearer, the stream of women they brought into their home existed only to be prosecuted for sex.”

Mr Cray said ‘the fact that they wouldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer’ would be something jurors ‘will hear over and over again’.

The prosecutor told jurors they would hear from 13 different women.

Both men deny all charges. The trial continues.


Sports

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button