Skip to content
Man dies after officers forced him to do 300 squats for breaking COVID curfew

  • A man has died after being forced to do 300 squat exercises as punishment for breaking a COVID curfew.

  • The 28-year-old Filipino man was arrested by police while buying water.

  • It is the latest of several human rights violations reported by COVID rule violators in the country.

  • Visit the Insider homepage for more stories.

A Filipino man has died after being forced by police to do 300 squat-type exercises as punishment for breaking the country’s strict COVID curfew rules.

Darren Manaog Penaredondo, 28, was buying water from a local store in Cavite province after the curfew last Thursday when he was arrested by police for violating the curfew of 18 hours.

Penaredondo’s parent, Adrian Lucena, said on Facebook that he and others caught breaking the curfew were forced to do 100 squat-type exercises as punishment.

According to Lucena, the group was told to do the squats in sync – but if one of them wasn’t in sync, the group would have to repeat the set. Penaredondo and the others ended up doing a total of 300 reps.

The man’s resident girlfriend, Reichelyn Balce, told local media outlet Rappler that Penaredondo was in immense pain upon his return on Friday morning.

“When he came back around 8 am, he was assisted by another curfew violator. I asked if he had been beaten, but he just smiled. It was obvious he was in a lot of pain,” did she say.

Balce added that Penaredondo found it difficult to walk and was reduced to crawling on the ground as his knees and thighs ached. Later that day, he started to have convulsions and convulsions.

“His face turned purple and his heart stopped beating,” Balce said on the exit.

The chairman of the village guard, Rodolfo Cruz Jr., confirmed in a telephone interview with Rappler that Penaredondo was arrested and manipulated by police last Thursday. However, the police chief, Marlo Nillo Solero, denied the allegations of Penaredondo’s family, saying there was “no such punishment”.

“Instead, we give lectures,” Solero told Rappler.

Mayor Antonio Ferrer said in a Facebook post yesterday that the case was under investigation and that he had been in contact with the grieving family to offer their condolences and help.

“We immediately ordered our police chief to conduct a fair investigation into the incident and the alleged torture,” Ferrer said. “I hope we can have immediate clarity on the events and give the family peace of mind.”

This is the latest of several human rights violations reported in the Philippines involving violators of COVID rules.

A Human Rights Watch report cited cases where police jailed people in dog cages and forced other COVID curfew violators to sit in the scorching midday sun for hours. In one case, a Manila man was killed after trying to avoid a COVID checkpoint.

In a televised speech last Thursday, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte warned citizens not to defy lockdown rules.

“I will not hesitate. My orders are addressed to the police and the army, as well as to the leaders of the village, if there are problems or occasions where there is violence and your lives are in danger, shoot them, ”he said.

Read the original article on Insider

Source link