Major indexes slide as Washington debt talks tangle
Major US equity indices close lower today as debt talks advance without any progress. This gave traders a reason to sell overbought levels, and traders did just that.
A snapshot of the final levels shows:
- The Dow Industrial Average fell -231.09 points or -0.69% to 33055.50
- The S&P index fell -47.05 points or -1.12% to 4145.57
- The NASDAQ index fell -160.54 points or -1.26% to 12560.24
It was a big day for the great drivers of recent times:
- Nvidia fell -$4.88 or -1.57% to $306.88. Nvidia to report earnings after close tomorrow, recent price I extended to $318.28, highest level since December 2021
- Alphabet fell -$2.49 or -1.99%
- Microsoft fell -$5.92 or -1.84%
- Apple fell -$2.73 or -1.57%
- Meta which was up earlier in the day fell $1.58 or -0.64%
A big winner today was Broadcom signing a multi-year deal with Apple for 5G chips for their iPhone. AVGO shares close up $8.13 or 1.2% at 686.50
This article was written by Greg Michalowski at www.forexlive.com.
Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.