The Reds are long-time admirers of the 19-year-old striker, who was a key part of Marco Silva’s side who scored 74 goals in just 28 appearances to open a five-point lead at the top of the Championship.
However, Carvalho is out of contract at Craven Cottage this summer and Liverpool made a belated attempt to sign the Lisbon-born England youth international before the January transfer deadline, agreeing an £8m fee and managing a medical examination but ending up running out of time to complete the necessary paperwork.
Reports have since suggested Liverpool are confident they will now agree to pre-contract terms on a free summer transfer for Carvalho, who rejected an offer of a new deal to Fulham in November.
Asked about Carvalho at a press conference ahead of Sunday’s FA Cup fourth round tie against Cardiff, Klopp said: “We’re still interested, it would be crazy otherwise. But at the moment it’s not in our hands.
“It was late before the window closed. It didn’t work out but we’ll see what happens.”
Fulham hope this ongoing speculation will not affect Carvalho’s impressive form, with manager Silva yesterday insisting the teenager remains happy in west London.
“On the last day, schedules and important details are always complicated for everyone, and that’s what happened then,” he said.
“Fabio is really happy. The day after this situation, I saw him with the same smile on his face as always, and he enjoyed the workout, worked hard and that’s the main thing for me.
“A fortnight ago I said Fabio would be with us until the end of the season and I was sure it would happen because it was our decision and it was something I could control and that the club could also control and that is the reality now.
“I am 100% sure that Fabio will do his best for the club as he has done so far.”