Laquan McDonald’s grandmother slams federal prosecutors for not charging Jason Van Dyke – NBC Chicago

Laquan McDonald’s grandmother on Thursday called on federal prosecutors to backtrack and charge former Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke with the murder of her grandson.

“I want federal charges,” Tracey Hunter said at a news conference across from the federal courthouse. “John Lausch, if you don’t do your job, you should resign.”

Lausch’s office said Monday it would not charge Van Dyke and a family representative said the family “agreed” with the decision.

Hunter called Lausch’s claim to tell his family a “lie” and argued that his opinion should have been well known to federal authorities.

A Lausch spokesperson declined to comment.

Hunter said Lausch had been in contact with Marvin Hunter.

Although Marvin Hunter initially served as the family’s spokesperson, Tracey Hunter has said in recent months that the immediate family no longer wants Marvin Hunter – who has made it known he opposes the federal charges – speaking in their name.

Marvin Hunter did not return messages seeking comment on Thursday.

Tracey Hunter said her daughter, Tina Hunter, McDonald’s mother, was speechless when told of Lausch’s decision.

“I spoke to her on the phone and she was just like, silence, so just me imagining a glimpse in my mind of the expression on her face was just unbearable, she couldn’t even speak. … Everything she could say was ‘What? What? That snake!’

Tracey Hunter said Lausch’s office never contacted her or her daughter.

Tracey and Tina Hunter along with a group of community activists renewed their calls for federal charges to be filed following Van Dyke’s release from state prison earlier this year. A group of activists – including Tracey Hunter – who called themselves the ‘Laquan Nine’ were arrested on February 3 and ordered to stay away from Dirksen’s courthouse after allegedly refusing repeated requests to leave the Loop building.

McDonald was killed on October 20, 2014, when Van Dyke shot him 16 times. Van Dyke served more than three years of an 81-month sentence stemming from his conviction in state court for second-degree murder and 16 counts of aggravated battery – one for each bullet he fired at McDonald’s .

NBC Chicago

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button