LAPD closes 6th Street overpass for fourth time in five days

Authorities closed the new 6th Street overpass connecting downtown Los Angeles to Boyle Heights for the fourth night in the past five days.

The Los Angeles Police Department announced the closure in a tweet shortly after 9 p.m. Tuesday.

No details of the closure were provided, except for “illegal activities and public safety concerns”.

Officer Drake Madison, a police spokesman, said he was unable to clarify the nature of the illegal activity. LAPD Hollenbeck Station personnel could not be reached for comment.

The 3,500ft bridge has only been open to traffic for two weeks, but has quickly become a popular spot for street takeovers, illegal runs, dangerous stunts and vandalism.

On Friday, a driver rammed a van that was illegally parked in a “no parking” zone on the bridge, leading to several people being escorted off the bridge by police. Within two hours of the bridge’s reopening, around 200 people gathered for a street takeover, with some onlookers scaling the security barriers trying to get a better view from the top of the bridge’s arches.

On Saturday, the bridge was closed again after more than 250 people gathered on the viaduct the night before for a street takeover, which ended in violence and vandalism.

On Sunday, the LAPD cited “questionable activity” in closing the bridge for the third straight night.

In a statement last week, LA City Councilman Kevin de León, who represents downtown and parts of the Eastside, said the city was considering adding cameras to the bridge to try to identify people participating in street takeovers and other illegal activities.




Los Angeles Times

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button