The Kremlin on Wednesday denied responsibility for a cyberattack on Ukraine a day earlier that hit the websites of the country’s defense ministry and armed forces as well as two state-owned banks.
Kiev had hinted the attack came from Russia amid continued fears that Moscow is planning to invade its Western-backed neighbour, Ukraine.
“We don’t know anything. As expected, Ukraine continues to blame Russia for everything,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.
“Russia has nothing to do with DDOS attacks,” Peskov added.
Sites affected included the state-owned savings bank Oschadbank and Privat – two of the country’s largest financial institutions.
The two resumed service later on Tuesday, but military sites remained inaccessible hours after the first reports of the attack were published.
Ukraine’s communications watchdog pointed the finger at Moscow.
“It cannot be ruled out that the aggressor resorts to dirty tricks,” the watchdog said in reference to Russia.
Tuesday’s cyberattack came a month after another strike briefly took down key government websites.
NATO responded hours after the January attack by announcing a cyber warfare cooperation agreement with Kiev. The European Union also said it was mobilizing “all its resources” to help Ukraine at the time.
Kyiv said the January damage had been limited and withheld on the division of responsibilities.