Moscow does not plan to restrict foreign travel for men eligible for military service
Russian authorities are not currently considering imposing travel restrictions on men of military age or compiling lists of those who have already left the country as part of the ongoing partial mobilization, the spokesperson said on Tuesday. word of the Kremlin, Dmitry Peskov.
“The Kremlin has no position on this initiative, and I am not aware that this initiative is being considered by anyone,” Peskov told reporters when asked to comment on the ideas put forward by the head of the Crimean State Council, Vladimir Konstantinov.
Konstantinov had proposed banning Russian men eligible for military service from traveling abroad. He also suggested that those who had left the country after the announcement of the partial mobilization be placed on a “registration.”
The Russian government launched a partial mobilization of military reservists last month, with the Defense Ministry saying it planned to call to arms some 300,000 people to help with the ongoing military operation in neighboring Ukraine. The call gives priority to people who have previously served in the military and have actual combat experience.
Russia has also strengthened its penal code, introducing tougher penalties for war crimes such as looting, desertion or evasion. In some cases, avoiding drafting during mobilization can land a person behind bars for up to ten years.
Since the announcement of the partial mobilization, a number of Russian citizens have chosen to flee the country for neighboring states such as Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia and Armenia, none of which require a visa to visit the Russians. It was not immediately clear how many of those who had decided to leave the country abruptly were actually eligible for the current project.
You can share this story on social media: