Kingston man seriously injured while making fireworks, police say
A man was seriously injured in the hands, abdomen and face on Sunday. Police believe he was making fireworks.
Authorities are warning the public of the dangers of trying to make fireworks at home after a Kingston man was seriously injured while tinkering with ‘destructive devices’.
Just after 1 p.m. Sunday, members of the Kingston Fire Department and Police Department responded to 8 Nobadeer Circle after receiving a 911 call. They found a man with serious injuries to his hands, abdomen and face. He was brought by MedFlight to a Boston hospital and is expected to survive, officials said in a statement.
An investigation involving bomb techs and state police hazmat techs has been launched. Officials found and removed two destructive devices and components that could have been used to create more.
Preliminary investigation suggests the man intended to use the devices as fireworks, officials said.
“Over the past 10 years, fireworks have caused nearly 1,000 major fires and explosions in Massachusetts, along with dozens of injuries and approximately $2.5 million in damage,” the Chief of Kingston firefighters, Mark Douglass, in a statement. “Please, for your own safety and that of your family, friends and neighbors, leave the fireworks to the professionals.”
Last year, authorities issued about 40 subpoenas for violating state fireworks laws. Nearly 3,000 fireworks in total were confiscated, worth more than $46,000, officials said.
An investigation is still ongoing into the Kingston incident.
“Possession, use and sale of fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts even if legally purchased in another state,” Kingston Police Chief Maurice Splaine said in a statement. “State law requires that illegal fireworks be seized and destroyed. Don’t risk a fine and a day in court – leave the fireworks to the professionals.
Stay up to date on all the latest news from Boston.com