Kin Insurance Review for November 2022 • Benzinga Insurance

Kin Insurance Ratings at a Glance

Home insurance is an essential aspect of home ownership. With the right policy, you can ensure that any losses you incur are covered by your policy. This includes losses due to fire, theft, etc.

If you don’t know what your home insurance coverage actually includes, you’re not alone. The details of any insurance policy can be confusing, but some providers can help you find home insurance that’s right for you. Benzinga’s Kin Insurance review can help you decide if the insurance company is right for you.

Kin offers a plethora of products that strive to cover you if you live in a coastal area. Here’s what the company offers:

  • Home insurance: You are probably required to have home insurance if you have a mortgage. Even if your home is fully reimbursed, home insurance covers the repair or replacement of the physical structure and property inside your home. Typical home insurance policies cover damage caused by fire and smoke, hurricanes, hail, lightning, theft, and water damage caused by a burst pipe or flood, etc.
  • Florida home insurance: Some home insurance companies exclude Florida from coverage due to hurricanes. Kin offers affordable homeowners insurance for Florida residents, even if you live on the coast or in another area at risk of catastrophic events.
  • Mobile and prefabricated home insurance: Kin provides insurance for mobile and manufactured homes, no matter where they are. This includes private properties, mobile home parks and housing estates. You can expect these policies to offer the same coverage as Kin’s other home insurance products. And yes, you can also get a mobile home insurance policy in Florida!
  • Flood insurance: You can add flood insurance to your home insurance instead of buying an entirely separate flood policy. If you add flood insurance to your home insurance, you can pay a single premium for both policies. Your deductible (the amount you pay out of pocket before Kin pays for covered damage) applies equally to both policies. If you live in Florida, flood insurance is the only type of coverage that will pay for storm surge damage.
  • Hurricane Insurance: Did you know that most home insurance policies don’t cover hurricane damage? If you live in a hurricane-prone area, your Kin home insurance policy will have a separate deductible for hurricane damage claims. You should always get separate coverage for hurricane flood damage.
  • Owner’s insurance: If you own an investment property and rent it out to long-term tenants, you need landlords insurance. Renting a single room or your home for a short period may not require additional insurance.
  • Umbrella insurance: This is an add-on product that gives you greater liability coverage if someone is injured on your property. You can only purchase an umbrella policy if you have a home or auto insurance policy with a minimum amount of primary liability coverage.
  • Secondary residence insurance: A secondary residence is a house in which you live 6 months or less per year, such as a summer or vacation residence. Second homes are considered more at risk as they are unoccupied for much of the time and damage may go unnoticed. Second homes can also be more vulnerable to theft.

Discounts available and tips for getting the best rates

Kin offers several discounts, including:

  • Discounts for fire and home security alarms
  • Discounts for staying claim-free for more than 7 years
  • Paperless discounts
  • Discounts for Homeowners Association Membership

To get the best rates, follow the quote process and provide accurate information to see available discounts.

Each home insurance policy offers specific coverage selections. A standard font includes:

  • Housing cover takes care of the structure of your home when it is damaged by a covered event such as theft or fire. It pays to repair or rebuild damage to the walls, floors, roof, windows, or even the foundation of your home.
  • Coverage of other structures may help if your garage, shed, fence or other structures are damaged by a covered event.
  • Personal Property Coverage protects your belongings and helps you pay for repairs or replacement if they are damaged by a covered event.
  • Loss of use insurance helps pay for your additional living expenses if a covered event, such as a fire, prevents you from staying at home for a period of time. Additional living expenses covered may include hotel costs, restaurant bills and more.
  • Liability insurance can help pay legal fees if you are held liable when someone is injured or suffers damage or loss of personal property in your home.
  • Medical payment insurance is designed to help cover medical expenses if guests are injured at your home.

Flood insurance

Kin is a flood insurance provider, even in high risk areas. Flood insurance is a supplement to home insurance that covers damage caused by storm surges as well as groundwater infiltration, mudslides and flooding caused by broken water pipes. Bundling flood insurance with your home insurance policy is a good idea because when damage occurs you only pay one deductible if something goes wrong, it’s also cheaper than buying it separately . You can make complaints about items such as:

  • Electrical, heating, cooling and plumbing systems
  • Appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers
  • Rugs and window treatments
  • Built-in storage units such as bookcases and cabinets
  • Attached foundation, walls, anchor systems and stairs
  • Individual garages
  • Clothing, furniture and electronics in the basement
  • High value items such as works of art

Hurricane Insurance

Kin’s policies include coverage for everyday occurrences such as water leaks and fires, but also include hurricane insurance that covers catastrophic damage that can occur from a named storm, such as hurricane Mary.

Hurricane damage coverage includes:

  • The structure of your house
  • Other structures such as a garage, fence or shed
  • Personal effects such as clothing, furniture and appliances

Owner’s insurance

When you have rental property, you need landlord insurance. Homeowner’s insurance policies are different from home insurance policies. The Kin Owner’s Policy covers:

  • Property: This includes housing, other structures, and any personal property on site to look after a rental, such as a snow blower or lawn mower.
  • Fair rental income: If a covered event renders your rental unit unsuitable for occupancy, this coverage can help offset the loss of income.
  • Unoccupied space: This covers your unit even if no one lives there at the time of a covered event.
  • Responsibility: Landlord’s liability insurance can help cover legal fees or medical expenses when someone is injured in your rental property.

Umbrella insurance

Umbrella insurance gives you greater liability coverage and generally covers the same incidents as home and auto insurance. You may need to consider an umbrella policy if the value of your total assets exceeds your auto and home liability limits. Umbrella policies provide another layer of coverage for:

  • Bodily injuries suffered by other people
  • Damage you cause to the property of others

Kin is constantly innovating to provide coverage at a lower cost. The company leverages thousands of data points to narrow down the right coverage at the right price for you. The cost of your home insurance premium depends on:

  • Where you live
  • The type of house you live in
  • Your credit score and complaints history
  • The coverage you select
  • Your deductible

If you’re looking for cheap home insurance, compare policies to find the best value.

You can reach customer service by phone, text, email or chat. Its website also includes an educational blog, an FAQ section, and an insurance glossary to help you break down policy details.

Kin’s authorized representatives contact you just to see how you are doing, not just when you file a claim.

Contact customer service at 855-216-7574 or

Kin offers a dedicated complaints center on its website. You can use a virtual inspection to help settle your claim quickly. Contact the claims center at 866-204-2219 or

Is Kin insurance right for you?

Kin makes insurance easy to understand and provides educational support for your policy. The company also offers affordable insurance, even in hurricane-prone areas. Get a free quote to see if Kin can provide the coverage that’s right for you.


How long has Kin insurance been around?


Kin Insurance has been in business since 2016.


Is Kin insurance expensive?


Kin Insurance is believed to be cheaper than other major insurance companies.


Is Kin a real insurance company?


Yes, Kin is a real insurance company specializing in home insurance in risky areas.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button