Kevin Spacey will appear in a London court for sexual assault


Troubled Hollywood star Kevin Spacey is due to appear in a London court today to face sexual assault charges stemming from his tenure as artistic director at a local theater between 2004 and 2015.

The scandal-scarred 62-year-old actor was charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of inciting a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent on Tuesday.

The two-time Oscar winner – known for starring in ‘House of Cards’, ‘The Usual Suspects’ and ‘American Beauty’ – was questioned by cops in 2019 over the claims of several men who said they had them assaulted while he was the artist director of London’s Old Vic theater between 2004 and 2015.

The alleged victims are now all between 30 and 40 years old.

Four of the alleged incidents took place in London between March 2005 and August 2008, and one in Gloucestershire, England, in April 2013.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) authorized charges against the actor last month, but he could not be formally charged until he arrived on British soil this week.

Journalists await the arrival of Kevin Spacey at Westminster Magistrates' Court in London on June 16, 2022.
Journalists await the arrival of Kevin Spacey at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London on June 16, 2022.
AFP via Getty Images

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Mr. Spacey are active and that he is entitled to a fair trial,” said Rosemary Ainslie, head of the Crown Prosecution Service’s Special Crimes Division, in a press release.

Last month, Spacey revealed plans to “voluntarily appear” in UK courts in a bid to defend himself against the charges, which he would have to deny in court.

The actor – who came out gay in 2017 – said he was “confident” he would be able to prove his innocence in court.

Kevin Spacey is due to appear in court in London as he faces sexual assault charges since he was an art director.
Kevin Spacey is due to appear in court in London as he faces sexual assault charges since he was an art director.
Reuters

“Although I am disappointed with their decision to go ahead, I will voluntarily appear in the UK as soon as possible and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence,” he said. said in a statement to “Good Morning America.

Growing allegations against the actor have turned his successful career into chaos.

Spacey was kicked out of the final season of “House of Cards,” a decision the showrunners said needed to be made.

The Crown Prosecution Service authorized charges against Kevin Spacey last month.
The Crown Prosecution Service authorized charges against Kevin Spacey last month.
Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP

In another blow to his Hollywood status, Spacey was cut from Ridley Scott’s 2017 film “All The Money In The World.” The film, which starred Michelle Williams and Mark Wahlberg, was completed with Spacey’s cast in mind.

After sexual misconduct allegations were made against Spacey, he was immediately cut from the film. Christopher Plummer stepped into the role as reshoots began almost immediately.

Spacey’s attorney did not immediately respond to the Post’s request for comment.



New York Post

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button