Kevin Spacey is set to appear in an upcoming UK indie thriller. The project marks the actor’s first film role since being found not liable in a $40 million sexual misconduct civil lawsuit last month. It also comes a week after it was revealed that Spacey will be charged with seven other sex offenses in his UK trial, all of which relate to the same alleged victim.
Fox News Digital confirmed Monday that Spacey, 63, will play a voice-only role in “Control,” produced by Cupsogue Pictures. The film, written and directed by Gene Fallaize, is expected to wrap filming this week.
According to a press release, “Control” tells the story of British government Home Secretary Stella Simmons – played by Lauren Metcalfe – “as she drives home one evening while engaging in a secret romance with the Prime Minister (Mark Hampton)”.
According to the statement, another man, played by Spacey, is aware of her secret and “has been badly affected by it, and he wants revenge on Stella for his part, so he plots to remotely hijack his fully self-driving car, and takes control of it, forcing her to run wild through the streets of London, using the car she’s trapped in as a lethal weapon.”
In October, Spacey was found not liable in the lawsuit filed against him by actor Anthony Rapp. Spacey has been charged with assault, battery and emotional distress stemming from an alleged incident in 1986 when Rapp was 14.
KEVIN SPACEY SAYS ‘JUSTICE HAS BEEN DONE’ AFTER BEING FOUND NOT RESPONSIBLE IN ANTHONY RAPP’S SEXUAL ABUSE TRIAL
Following the trial verdict, Rapp shared a note on Twitter, writing, “I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to have my case heard before a jury, and I thank the members of the jury for their service. Bringing this trial has always been to shed light, as part of a broader movement against all forms of sexual violence.
“I pledge to continue to advocate for efforts to ensure that we can live and work in a world free of sexual violence of any kind. I sincerely hope that survivors will continue to tell their stories and fight to obtain accounts”, he concluded.
Rapp originally made the accusations against Spacey in a Buzzfeed interview five years ago, to which Spacey released a statement saying he didn’t recall the encounter, but also apologized for the incident.
When Broadway star Rapp filed a lawsuit against Spacey in 2020, the “American Beauty” actor denied the charges.
The former ‘House of Cards’ actor and Rapp, 50, both testified during the three-week trial. While on the stand, Rapp testified that Spacey invited him to a party at his apartment when they were both working on Broadway in the ’80s.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER
Rapp said Spacey, who was 26 at the time, lured him into a bedroom after the guests left and lay down on a bed. Rapp then stated that he managed to get out from under Spacey and fled.
The ‘LA Confidential’ star denied the allegation and said he would never be attracted to a teenager.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Spacey is still facing another trial in London for sexually assaulting multiple men in the UK. He pleaded not guilty in July and is expected to stand trial next year.
Earlier this month it was revealed that Spacey would be charged with seven other sex offenses in Britain, all linked to the same alleged victim, British prosecutors said. This brings the number of charges Spacey faces in the UK to 12.
The UK Crown said the charges against Spacey were three of indecent assault, three of sexual assault and one of inciting a person to engage in sexual activity without their consent. The charges relate to incidents that occurred between 2001 and 2004.
According to Variety, the “Control” writer and director said that while the controversy surrounding Spacey was “a consideration, I wouldn’t say it was a concern.”
“He’s one of the greatest actors of our generation,” Fallaize told the outlet. “His personal life aside – it’s something I can’t comment on and have no knowledge of – it’s an opportunity to work with one of the great actors.” Per Variety, Fallaize wrote the screenplay with Spacey in mind.
Fox News Digital’s Tracy Wright and The Associated Press contributed to this report.