House Speaker Kevin McCarthy will inform House Republicans on Thursday that an impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden is the “logical next step” in the investigation into the Biden family.
The meeting will take place in a closed-door leadership session at 8 a.m. so lawmakers can receive an update on the investigation from House Oversight Committee Chairman Jamie Comer (R-KY ) and House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan (R-OH), according to Punchbowl. News:
McCarthy plans to say that the two presidents have discovered enough information that requires the House to formalize the impeachment inquiry in order to obtain the Bidens’ bank records and other documents.
It remains to be seen whether 218 Republicans in the House of Representatives would vote in favor of an impeachment inquiry. Several moderate Republicans — including Reps. Ken Buck (Colorado) and Don Bacon (Nebraska) — have been skeptical of the need for an impeachment inquiry. So McCarthy will really have to work on this vote if this is the direction he wants to take.
“The time for impeachment is the time when there is evidence linking President Biden – if there is evidence linking President Biden – to a high crime or misdemeanor. That doesn’t exist right now,” Buck told MSNBC on Sunday.
“At this time, I do not support (an impeachment inquiry),” Bacon said Policy Tuesday. “I think an investigation should be based on evidence of a crime that points directly to President Biden, or if the president is uncooperative by not providing documents…”
Of course. https://t.co/msE65JoYPY
– Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) September 11, 2023
Most in the Republican Party appear to support an impeachment inquiry, which McCarthy can launch without a floor vote.
“That’s what the investigation is for, to get more evidence,” Rep. Nancy Mace (R-SC) said CNN Monday. “I want the American people to see every piece of evidence, whether it’s true or false, whether it supports us or not.”
The powerful allegations against Joe Biden include, but are not limited to, photos, texts, videos, audio recording and testimony from IRS whistleblowers and former business partners:
- Reports of suspicious activity from the Biden family on wIrish transfers
- WhatsApp messages
- Photos of Joe with Hunter’s business partners
- Voicemail from Joe Biden to Hunter
- Five people calling Joe Biden “great”
- Two whistleblower testimonies
- FBI Form FD-1023 alleging recorded phone calls and text messages between Biden and Burisma executive
- FBI informant alleges bribery
- Video of Joe Biden bragging about firing Ukrainian prosecutor
- Hunter’s statements about giving half of his income to his father
- Former White House aide says FBI ignored Joe Biden’s role in Ukraine trade dealings
- Millions flow into Biden family bank accounts
- Hunter pays Joe Biden’s expenses
- Email aliases
Sixty-one percent of Americans believe Joe Biden was involved in his family’s trade deals with China and Ukraine, according to a recent CNN poll. Only 38% say Joe Biden was not involved, and just 1% say he was involved and did nothing wrong.
Follow Wendell Husebø on Twitter @WendellHusebo. He is the author of Politics of slave morality.