The civil case is scheduled to go to trial on October 2.
September 14, 2023, 6:52 p.m.
A New York appeals judge on Thursday issued a temporary stay of the state attorney general’s $250 million civil fraud lawsuit against former President Donald Trump, whose trial is scheduled for Oct. 2. Sources familiar with the matter told ABC News.
The judge’s order was issued during a previously unscheduled virtual hearing that was not open to the public.
The First Department of the Appellate Division will now hear Trump’s request to delay the trial.
In response to the ruling, Attorney General Letitia James said: “We are confident in our case and will be ready for trial. »
Whether the trial begins as scheduled next month will depend on how quickly the panel hears arguments and issues a decision.
Before the trial could begin, Trump’s lawyers said Judge Arthur Engoron was forced to decide whether the attorney general’s case — which covers more than a decade of allegedly fraudulent business conduct — should be narrowed. Trump’s legal team has argued that some real estate transactions are too old to be considered.
Trump’s team is now taking the aggressive step of suing Engoron to force him to govern.
Engoron said the trial would begin on October 2 “against all odds.”
Last year, James filed a $250 million lawsuit against Trump, his children and his company, accusing them of “grossly” inflating the former president’s net worth by billions of dollars and deceive lenders and others with false and misleading financial statements.
Trump has denied any wrongdoing.