Sports

Judge denies Trevor Bauer’s request for access to phone records


Trevor Bauer has been on paid administrative leave since the middle of last season, but Major League Baseball may be close to making a decision on whether to suspend the Los Angeles Dodgers star.

A judge on Monday denied Bauer’s request to access the cellphone records of one of the women who accused him of sexual assault, according to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times. The woman’s request for a restraining order had already been denied, and prosecutors declined to press charges against Bauer. In later court documents, Bauer’s legal team argued that the woman’s cellphone records may show that she attempted to carry out “a plan to seek rough sex so that she could then seek to profit from it”.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Dianna Gould-Saltman denied the request. She said Bauer’s attorneys did not file the motion in time for her to consider the claim. Even if they did, Gould-Saltman said she was skeptical how the woman’s cellphone records would help Bauer’s argument that she should pay her legal fees. Bauer’s legal team filed a case in October seeking the woman to cover the MLB star’s legal fees.

As Shaikin notes, the cellphone recordings could, in theory, have helped Bauer share his version of events with MLB investigators.

Bauer is in the second year of a three-year, $102 million contract. He has been on paid leave for 10 months. The 31-year-old recently filed a defamation suit related to his sexual assault case.




Sports Grp1

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.

Eleon

"Writer. Coffee practitioner. Twitter specialist. Food trailblazer. Subtly charming analyst. Troublemaker. Unable to type with boxing gloves on."
Back to top button