Sports

Joey Chestnut is out of 2024 Nathan’s hot dog eating contest in beef over vegan franks

Business

exclusive


The news about Coney Island hot dogs is hard to swallow.

Joey Chestnut, perennial winner of the annual Nathan’s Fourth of July hot dog eating contest, is excluded from this year’s beef vomit because of a deal he made to represent a different brand of smoked sausage, it has been learned The Post.

And not just any brand, but Impossible Foods, which recently launched a plant-based vegan Frankfurt imposter.

California-born Chestnut has won it 16 times, including every year since 2016. He devoured a world record 76 dogs and buns in 2021 and retained his title with a paltry 62 last year.

He was expected to return to his usual spot for the hot dog eating contest on the stage at the corner of Stillwell and Surf avenues – a block from the famous boardwalk and a Coney Island tradition since 1916 – until ‘to the unexpected food fight.

Joey Chestnut, featured in last year’s competition, has won Nathan’s event 16 times, including every year since 2016. Paul Martinka

A representative from Major League Eating (MLE), which Nathan authorizes to host the event, said organizers went out of their way to accommodate Chestnut’s various requests. They even agreed to let him participate in a rival Labor Day dog-eating festival that would be taped for television on the condition that no brand of hot dog was mentioned.

But they said they drew the line by letting Chestnut offer another brand of hot dog.

A source said Chestnut was paid $200,000 to enter Nathan’s competition last year and was offered a four-year, $1.2 million contract.

“The two sides could still reach a settlement before July 4, but that depends on Joey,” a close source said.

“He’s the Michael Jordan of competitive eating. But imagine if Michael Jordan told Nike, “I love being the face of Nike but I also want to do commercials for Adidas,” the source said.

While Chestnut is definitely out, sports betting leader Bovada has named Geoffrey Esper, who came in second last year for eating 49 hot dogs, as this year’s favorite with odds of -225.

A source said Chestnut was paid $200,000 to enter Nathan’s competition last year and was offered a four-year, $1.2 million contract. Paul Martinka

MLE said in a statement: “We are devastated to learn that Joey Chestnut chose to represent a rival brand that sells plant-based hot dogs rather than compete in the popular Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest on 4 July 2024.

“MLE and Nathan have made great efforts over the past few months to welcome Joey and his
the management team, agreeing to the appearance fee and allowing Joey to compete at a rival,
unbranded hot dog eating contest on Labor Day.

“For nearly two decades, we have operated under the same basic provisions of hot dog exclusivity. However, it appears that Joey and his managers have prioritized a new partnership with a different brand over our long-standing relationship.

Chestnut signed a deal to represent Impossible Foods.

Organizers left the door open for Chestnut to once again compete for Nathan’s championship belt.

“Joey Chestnut is an American hero. We would love nothing more than to have him at Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest. We hope he returns when he’s not representing a rival brand.

Neither Chestnut nor his agents would immediately comment. Impossible Foods did not respond either.




Load more…





https://nypost.com/2024/06/11/business/joey-chestnut-banned-from-2024-nathans-hot-dog-eating-contest/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Copy the URL to share

News Source : nypost.com
Gn sports

Back to top button