Skip to content
In Plestin-les-Grèves, what happened to Moggly, who died after a walk on the beach?  – Lannion

“It was Sunday September 12th. At 4 p.m., we went for a walk on Saint-Efflam beach, in Plestin-les-Grèves, with Moggly and a friend. I threw the ball at him for half an hour, he was happy, everything was fine. When we got back from our walk, around 5:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., he couldn’t get out of the trunk of the car on his own. He started to have severe diarrhea. He was not in his normal state. He kept his head down, he couldn’t stand up anymore. I moistened his mouth, I calmed him down. My friend called the veterinarian in Plouigneau, where she was taken. At 8 p.m. he was starting to have convulsions, more and more spasms, his breathing was difficult. The blood and urine tests were not good. He was vomiting digested blood, which meant that there was internal bleeding… ”says Jean-Louis Le Roy, who lives in Lanmeur.

Eliminate the green algae hypothesis

Despite the veterinarian’s efforts, Tuesday, September 14, the 66-year-old retiree lost his faithful friend, “a 5-year-old border-collie weighing 23 kg, full of energy, in the prime of life, rather athletic. “. The vet’s first verdict, according to the owner: “Moggly was poisoned.” Which ? This is the question to which Jean-Louis Le Roy would like to have an answer.

“A healthy dog ​​who dies after running on the beach in Saint-Efflam, whatever the cause, that’s a problem. It is the authorities, and not an association like ours, which should finance these analyzes ”.

The bay of Plestin-les-Grèves and Saint-Michel-en-Grève frequently suffers stranding of green algae. Could the hydrogen sulphide which emanates from their putrefaction, a poisonous, potentially fatal gas, have caused the death? The question torments him and this is the reason why the man gave the alert on social networks, by posting his story on the Facebook page ” You are from Lanmeur “.

To exclude this hypothesis, the association Safeguarding the Trégor Goëlo Penthièvre, spearhead in the fight against green algae, has decided to co-finance, with the owner, analyzes that will be carried out by a Finistère laboratory. “The objective is to search for the presence of hydrogen sulphide in the body”.

Jean-Louis Le Roy walked his dog, Moggly, on the beach of Saint-Efflam, in Plestin-les-Grèves, Sunday (at the place he indicates here with his companion). On returning from the walk, Moggly, a border collie, 5 years old, could not get out of the car on his own. (Jennifer Pinel)

On-site analyzes

At the same time, Yves-Marie Le Lay, president of Safeguarding Trégor, will visit the site to measure the levels of hydrogen sulphide in the area where Moggly and his master walked. “He told me there wasn’t a lot of green algae that day. But sometimes traces of this gas are found in the sediments without there being algae. Maybe the dog nosed around and sniffed. Exposure to hydrogen sulfide can cause seizures, which suggests it is the cause. You have to check it out. “

And to conclude: “A healthy dog ​​who dies after running on the beach of Saint-Efflam, whatever the cause, it poses a problem. It is the authorities, and not an association like ours, which should finance these analyzes ”.