‘I don’t expect January to be a busy month’ – Manchester United director of football John Murtough reveals the club are ‘planning next summer’ amid links with Joao Felix and Wout Weghorst


Manchester United fans have been told to expect a quiet January transfer window with the club ‘already planning for next summer’.

Director of Football John Murtough said he did not expect the club to be busy this month after heavy investment last summer.

AFP

Erik ten Hag may not be backed in January transfer window[/caption]

Erik ten Hag has been heavily backed, with United spending over £200million on players such as Antony, Casemiro, Lisandro Martinez and Tyrell Malacia.

It was revealed last month that the Red Devils were only ready to sign loans in January amid the Glazer family looking to sell United.

Speaking at the latest United Fan Forum, as quoted by the Sunday TelegraphMurtough appeared to echo the reports, although he insisted a centre-forward to replace Cristiano Ronaldo was being considered.

He said: “As always, the focus remains on the summer window, and we are already well advanced in our planning for next summer.

“January is a tough time to find players that teams are willing to let go. It’s no secret that we are looking for a new centre-forward.

“We will see what is possible in January, but we only want to bring in players who are good enough and who will make the team stronger.

'I don't expect January to be a busy month' - Manchester United director of football John Murtough reveals the club are 'planning next summer' amid links with Joao Felix and Wout Weghorst
United manager Murtough says he expects January to be a quiet month
Getty


“We’re not going to sign players to make signings. You also have to remember that we invested over £200m in the squad last summer.

“And, as a club, we must remain financially disciplined and in line with FFP rules.

“So while we explore the options, I don’t expect it to be a busy January window on the men’s side.”

A number of players have been linked with United on loan, with Atletico Madrid’s Joao Felix identified as a possible target.

'I don't expect January to be a busy month' - Manchester United director of football John Murtough reveals the club are 'planning next summer' amid links with Joao Felix and Wout Weghorst
Getty

Atletico striker Felix is ​​one of several players United have been loaned out with[/caption]

But it is believed the Red Devils will face Arsenal in the race to secure the 23-year-old’s services temporarily.

The United Memphis Depay flop has also been mooted with a return to Old Trafford from Barcelona as the Dutchman eyes a second spell.

Another striker who is on United’s radar is his Dutch team-mate Wout Weghorst.

talkSPORT understands the Burnley man – on loan at Besiktas – is aiming to join compatriot Ten Hag at the Theater of Dreams.

talkSPORT BET DEAL OF THE DAY

Get up to £25 Free Bets + 25 Free Spins* – CLAIM HERE

18+ New customers only. Sign up, bet up to £25 (min. £10) on selected events at odds of 2.00+, in 7 days. Get up to £25 free bets on selected events + 25 free spins on D10S Maradona slot. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. Terms and conditions apply, see below. begambleaware.org | Please play responsibly

SEE ALL FREE BETS HERE




Sports

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button