Skip to content
Husband of ex-Los Angeles DA Jackie Lacey avoids jail in gun case

A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge granted a request Thursday to allow former Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey’s husband is scheduled to participate in a diversion program after targeting a gun at three unarmed protesters outside his home last year.

David Lacey, 67, was charged with three counts of assault last August, about five months after he opened the door to his family’s home in Granada Hills with a handgun targeting protesters, who rang the bell on his doorstep. door as part of a pre-shot protest against his wife. .

Under the terms of the diversion agreement approved by Superior Court Judge David Stuart, which was first reported by The Times last month, Lacey is to complete 100 hours of community service and take management courses. anger and gun safety. He is also prohibited from owning a firearm for the duration of the agreement, which lasts 18 months.

If Lacey had been convicted, each count of assault would spend a maximum of one year in the county jail. The state attorney general’s office is handling the case due to the conflict of interest Jackie Lacey had as a district attorney.

Melina Abdullah, co-founder of the Los Angeles chapter of Black Lives Matter and one of those held at gunpoint by Lacey last year, previously decried the arrangement as too lenient and called the judge to prohibit Lacey from owning firearms.

She also said Lacey was treated with “children’s gloves” and argued that a defendant without his political connections could have faced felony charges.

“It means my life, the threat he posed to my life, means nothing,” she said.

Last March, Abdullah led a group of around 30 protesters angry at Jackie Lacey’s repeated failure to meet with black activists who had challenged his record by rarely prosecuting law enforcement officers for the shooting death. unarmed men and women. The band were outside the Laceys hills of Granada, banging on drums and singing before 6 a.m., when Abdullah, Justin Marks and Dahlia Ferlito approached the family’s front door.

Video taken at the scene shows David Lacey responding to the door with a handgun pointed at protesters.

“I’m going to shoot you,” he said in response to a question from Abdullah, with his finger on the trigger of the gun.

Los Angeles Police were promptly called to the scene. Jackie Lacey held a press conference later in the day where she apologized for her husband’s actions, but also noted that the incident followed a series of threats against her as she sought a third mandate.

One of the threats was serious enough to be referred to the Long Beach Police Department for further investigation, but ultimately no charges were laid.

The incident occurred a day before the Democratic primary in the race for a contentious district attorney. Jackie Lacey couldn’t hit the 50% plus one vote she needed to win the primary and ended up losing to the former District of San Francisco. Atty. George Gascón in the general elections last November.

The proposed terms of the diversion agreement were first presented at a court hearing in April, but Lacey’s attorney, Samuel Tire, asked for more time to discuss the arrangement with his client. .

Lacey only owns the gun he brandished during the confrontation with the protesters, and he handed that gun to the LAPD within days of the incident, according to Tire.





Source link